Protection System has taken over computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

saltydogs

Hi, all. First, thank you for everything you do. I've come to this site a couple of times over the years and your advice has been incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it.
Now I have my own problem with a malware issue.
My computer has become disabled. It boots to the desktop, but I cannot access anything with my mouse, and when I place the cursor in the taskbar, the hourglass icon appears. Sometimes the Protection System window would appear trying to tell me about some fake virus problems and to do an install.
I was able to delete any mention of Protection System from the registry through safe mode with command prompt, then regedit. That removed the Protection System screen from startup, but I still can't run any scans to send to you for review.
Nothing works! I have to unplug the machine to turn it off!
Is there any other way to use your recommended scanning programs to get this fixed?
I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

saltydogs

Bump, please!

I am still having this nasty malware problem. I can't perform a HJT scan using the suggested methods.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online