1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Protection System has taken over computer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by saltydogs, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltydogs

saltydogs Thread Starter

Hi, all. First, thank you for everything you do. I've come to this site a couple of times over the years and your advice has been incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it.
    Now I have my own problem with a malware issue.
    My computer has become disabled. It boots to the desktop, but I cannot access anything with my mouse, and when I place the cursor in the taskbar, the hourglass icon appears. Sometimes the Protection System window would appear trying to tell me about some fake virus problems and to do an install.
    I was able to delete any mention of Protection System from the registry through safe mode with command prompt, then regedit. That removed the Protection System screen from startup, but I still can't run any scans to send to you for review.
    Nothing works! I have to unplug the machine to turn it off!
    Is there any other way to use your recommended scanning programs to get this fixed?
    I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

2. saltydogs

saltydogs Thread Starter

Bump, please!

I am still having this nasty malware problem. I can't perform a HJT scan using the suggested methods.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice