1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Protocol error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by frankwelson, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frankwelson

frankwelson Thread Starter

Hi.
    Im using outlook express on my computer and the anti virus software im using is McAfee.
    When ever i try to send emails it gives me an error message "Protocol error." This error message appears when the emails are getting scanned before going out of my computer.

Can any one help........?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    NOT on a Vista machine, are you sure that you are NOT running Outlook from the Office package or is it Windows Mail?

Also I will NOT use McAfee and would remove it and get a different AV program, I also will not use Norton's.

3. frankwelson

Hey, thx for replyin....

Dave i want to come out of this issue with McAfee still on my computer....
    I love McAfee u know.... Can u plz help...........?
    :confused:

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

DaveA's point there, which you missed, I think, is that you cannot be running Outlook Express on a Vista OS, - it won't work! You must mean Windows Mail?
    The Antivirus, is Dave's personal observation, with which I agree. Both are very heavy programs wih a tendency to use resources.
    Both AVGFree and Avast (the "free" editions) work entirely to my satisfaction. Checked in the past against heavyweight Anti.virus programs, I have not seen any problems.
    If indeed, you have managed to install OE on Vista, that alone might explain the problem you are having.

5. frankwelson

Hey...

Im sorry it is web mail account.. Im so sorry guys....

Can any one help me....

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

OK. So you are running Windows Mail. It cannot pick up on Webmail. I recommend you download windows Live mail (free) which I suspect will eventually be the Vista standard. It hosts multi accounts, including web mail, and has several better functions.

7. frankwelson

ok... dats a great idea....
    but could u plz tell me where will i get the windws live mail from....?
    is it very expensive....?

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

It is free. It is now incorporated in Microsofts "Windows Live" package, but you can download the standalone mail program, or the package, from the official site here:

http://get.live.com/en-us/betas/home

9. frankwelson

Thank you so much....
    U hav been of great help....

Tak care

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice