1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Protocol for fixing high CPU temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StepsInSC, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

My 4 year old computer I built is having some issues. The CPU processor % goes up to 99% when running certain programs. I just downloaded Motherboard Monitor to check out the temps. It generally runs around 48 deg C but then when the CPU starts to run at a high % it jumps up to 60 degrees C. The case, however, stays at 25 C.

Since I built this thing I haven't really had to keep up with it esp b/c I pretty much stopped gaming a couple years back. Anyways, I'm a little clueless as to where to start in fixing this problem. Since the case temp is staying pretty low would it probably be best just to replace the heatsink & CPU fan? I think I just bought a CPU, fan, & heatsink already assembled when I bought this thing. But after going on for over a year I think it's time I just fix this...

Mobo: Gigabyte 8 IEXP
    Proccessor: PIV 2.4 Ghz
    Video: Geforce 4 Ti4200
    1Gb DDR RAM

2. Brum

Brum

that sounds like a software issue actually to me. I would guess that the reason your temperature rising is becuase your CPU is being overworked... alot. The more of a load the processor has the harder it is getting worked. It shouldn't run at 99% all the time unless your running a game or video editing or sumthing. Could very well be a virus, spyware, or just simply a glitch in the OS or another application.

I would try and figure out what is overloading the processor.

Use windows task manager to see which process is using up the processor.

3. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Well it only happens when I'm running certain programs, for example Company of Heroes which I just purchased. It tends to only happen with games or I've noticed with Yahoo stattracker for fantasy sports. I tend to only keep the minimal amount of processes running, and it's always traceable to either a game or somewhat process-intense program (like file sharing utilities).

4. Brum

Brum

I guess I don't know what is wrong with your computer then. I have a 2-3 year old Celeron processor and it does the exact same thing. Whenever I play battlefeild 2 or other hard games it the work load for the processor jumps to 99%. It also happens whenever I work with video, virus scan, or just multi task. just sitting there My processor temp runs at 48 degrees celsius and will jump all the way up to 70 degrees celcius when the processor has a heavy work load. That is just normal. Software programs keep getting more and more powerhungry. Also, Intel processors are just made to run hot. AMD tends too run at much cooler temps. As long as your processor doesn't get up to 75-80 degrees you should be ok.

Is the temperature all you are worried about or is it just running slow?

5. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Well it was initially a problem b/c the default setting in BIOS was to have the alarm for CPU temp go off at 60 degrees, i.e. it would beep a lot. This made me assume that anything at or above 60 degrees was a problem. I've sinced changedthe alarm-notification to not go off until 70 degrees.

The premise of my post was that 60 degrees was an unsafe and unstable tempature for a CPU to be running at. Your post makes me think that my premise may have just been wrong.

6. Brum

Brum

I just did another little test on my own celeron and it runs at about 61 on a full load. I don't think I would want it running hotter than 70 though. If you are still concerned, you would be amazed at how much of a difference adding another case fan will do. By keeping the air in the case lower the CPU fan can blow cooler air on the CPU which can surprisingly take 5-10 degrees off of the CPU temp depending on how bad your airflow is. A case fan is very cheap too.

I always worry about temperature in the summer becuase I don't have good air conditioning. when the room your computer is in is 80 F (Edit: 26.6 C) degrees it can make your processor run another 10 degrees warmer. My CPU would hit 76 C in the summer. That one made me sweet a little.

7. Brum

Brum

here is a chart I found with google. It actually lists my Celeron D processor at a much lower temp than I thought it could reach.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Temperatures.shtml

There is also a very good video on this website that you might want to take a look at. It shows what happens to processors when they are run on a full load without a CPU fan. The Intel processors slow down and run so slow that you can't do anything but the processor doesn't get fried. On the other hand AMD processors get so hot that they melt onto the motherboard. I found that very interesting becuase AMD always boasts about how cool and quiet they run compared to Intel.

8. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

Thanks Brum. I'll probably add another case fan soon. I guess a max of 67 degrees isn't that uncommon. Now I see why performance slows down though whenever it does get that high.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!