Proximity Sharing in Windows Firewall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

neonrider

Hello everyone, I wonder why there is no information on the internet on Proximity Sharing in Windows Firewall? I have both "Private" and "Public" (what do those stand for?) checked for "Proximity Sharing". Is this good or bad? Should I uncheck "Public" only or both? What is there difference between "Private" and "Public"?

neonrider

Actually I found out on the Firewall itself:

"This feature enables sharing of content between two PCs with proximity devices when tapped together."

Yet I would still like to ask for security of one's PC which check box is more important to uncheck: PUBLIC or PRIVATE? And what these two are actually exactly for?

Which version of Windows are you running? I don't remember see anything like Proximity Sharing. I am on Windows 10. I also don't remember seeing any checkboxes for public and private profiles.

Using the Private profile allows you to do File and Printer Sharing and Home Group. Both are for sharing folders and files inside a network.

Public profile doesn't allow those things, and is mean for use when you take your laptop to a cafe, airport etc. Public profile is more secure.

neonrider

Which version of Windows are you running? I don't remember see anything like Proximity Sharing. I am on Windows 10. I also don't remember seeing any checkboxes for public and private profiles.

Using the Private profile allows you to do File and Printer Sharing and Home Group. Both are for sharing folders and files inside a network.

Public profile doesn't allow those things, and is mean for use when you take your laptop to a cafe, airport etc. Public profile is more secure.
I believe 95% users only have one computer. Why would they assume by default everyone has a multi computer system in their home. I use Windows 8.1 and I can see by stats that at least 35% users around the world use Windows XP. It seems only 1.54% use Windows 10. Please check this link for the screenshot:

https://s28.postimg.org/6xdishs4d/windowsfirewall.jpg

Regarding Windows 10 I have opted out, even that I was forced really hard to switch to W10, but after Windows 8.1 becomes unusable I will simply switch to Linux and if not, I will stop using computers in my daily life. I have already stopped buying electronics, cars etc. because of Planned Obsolescence. :) Right now I am forced to click 4-5 times just to get the cursor to show up next to where I need t type. That is annoying enough and every time i do it brings me closer to life free of computer. Using PC is becoming more and more hard due to intentionally set annoyances.

The mainstream, the establishment, the evil geoengineering government etc. underestimate the power of people and just like we elected Trump, we will as well one day will stop buying, stop consuming, begin homeschooling and even stop using computers, if they push us hard enough, that will happen, I can guarantee that! :)

Last edited:

neonrider

Here's stats on "OS Version" I am getting on a website that is being visited by many millions of worldwide visitors:

All Time

upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Windows XP 460,359 35.52%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Windows 7 298,678 23.04%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Windows Vista 141,426 10.91%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Mac OS X 99,217 7.66%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif iPhone 39,110 3.02%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif iPad 31,880 2.46%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Android 4 Mobile 30,424 2.35%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Other Phones 26,062 2.01%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Windows 8.1 25,927 2.00%
upload_2017-2-21_19-18-56.gif Windows 10 20,024 1.54%

As you can see, force-fed corporate ideology is very hard to absorb. Just had to click 7 times on the cursor to have it activated, 3 times on EDIT button and 3 times to save the edited text. I am done! Not sure what their agenda is, probably to piss me off and to have me quit computers and I will! I am out for the rest of the week, no more PC until next month.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online