1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proxy all LAN traffic through an External Proxy in the UK

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robertwo, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertwo

robertwo Thread Starter

Hi, new to the forum so hope I am posting this in the correct location.

Here's what i am trying to do:

1. Send all traffic from my LAN, or a single IP address on my LAN through an external proxy server.

The reason i need to do this is that I live in France, but I have satellite TV (SKY) from the my home country, UK, and to use some of the services such as on-demand TV I need the satellite box to present itself with a UK WAN IP Address. I also have an internet radio which i use to connect to a few UK radio stations, but again a couple of the stations I like to listen to do not allow connections from IP addresses outside of the UK, so if I can route this traffic through a UK proxy it should fix the problem.

So, what I was thinking was that I need to install some sort of proxy server on my LAN, between the ADSL router and all the computers/devices currently on the LAN and either route all traffic through an external proxy in the UK, or setup rules on the internal proxy to route only the traffic from select internal IPs through the external proxy.

Now, where I am stuck is that I have not worked in IT for over 4 years now, and to be honest I seem to forgot a lot, so I need some help here.

1. What proxy can I use on the LAN? Either Linux or Windows, I have spare PC or Laptop to run it on. Preferably free software.
    2. A proxy service in the UK that will allow me to route my traffic through them. I don't mind if I have to pay a small amount each month.
    3. Some explanation of how to set this all up, you can be a basic or technical as you like.

I hope someone can help, thanks in advance for your help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i'm afraid we cannot help you here as you are trying to bypass the broadcasters rules for receiving this information
    i do understand you are a subscriber - but the service is only for UK based residents

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice