1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proxy and NT setup w/ cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by micronuts, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micronuts

micronuts Thread Starter

Here is the situation I need help with, this should be easy, maybe my brain's too foggy.

PC1: Windows NT 4 sp6a is the server
    PC2: Windows NT workstation

Ok, assign local ip address 10.0.0.2 to PC2 and instruct to use proxy located at 10.0.0.1

But....how do I set up PC1 to have BOTH a local IP address of 10.0.0.1 and at the same time request from the DHCP server of my ISP an IP address for the internet connection???? It seems to me that it is either/or, I either specify an IP address and DON"T get one from the DHCP server, and hence do not get a connection, or I request one from the DHCP server, but can't tell the rest of the computers on the LAN that my server's primary ip address is 10.0.0.1

How do I solve this in windows NT?

Thanks.:confused:

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

does PC1 have two network cards?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The easy way is with a broadband router, but if you have two NICs, you set one to DHCP client and connect it to the cable modem, the other NIC is setup for your network.

4. micronuts

micronuts Thread Starter

Post to self!! Just after posting the request and leaving for work it came to me that I alreday had the answer on my own website! D'oh!

I'm only using one Ethernet Card, hence only one Interface! That means that the proxy that I should use has to have the functionality to create a second interface and assign a local IP address to it, such as 10.0.0.1 or....I get myself a second Ethernet card and use a simple proxy like the one from analogx.com

js :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice