1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proxy server issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WarC, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WarC

WarC Thread Starter

Hey all, got a stumper that needs fresh ideas!

At work this afternoon our proxy server stopped providing internet and email access.

End users can't connect to their email because they get a POP3 error, one of the protocols that the proxy server provides. Same thing with their internet access - "proxy server is refusing connections".

The network itself is fine - I can ping every segment (every router, every hub, every switch) and the proxy server itself. The proxy can also be bypassed - allowing internet access. Not a feasible solution though.

The email services are all running. Both network cards are sending and receiving. The proxy server itself is connected to the internet. Email is being collected, run through our filters, and supposedly sent on its way. On the surface, everything seems to be fine....Yet no end user going through the proxy can get outside onto the internet or access the server's email portion.

Right now we're running a virus scan which will take hours to finish. Meanwhile, my shift ended and I went home - My manager can deal with it now. :p

I don't suspect it to be a virus or anything running in the background. Theres nothing fishy in the running processes and CPU and memory utilization appears normal. I was about to start powercycling network devices between the proxy and the rest of the network, but that seemed like a bad idea.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well without knowing what proxy server you use it may be hard to troubleshoot. But it kind of sounds like it could be a DNS issue as well.

3. WarC

WarC Thread Starter

Server OS is Windows 2000 Server, the proxy software and firewall is Wingate and Gatekeeper.

Odd thing about this is that its been working fine until today. The proxy server can see everyone else on the network through network neighborhood, share files, ping eachother, telnet...

I haven't done anything drastic with it yet, like reinstall software or reset configs...Not something I want to screw with if possible.

4. gurutech

gurutech

Verify that the proxy server and/or firewall is not blocking port 110.

5. WarC

WarC Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.

I came in this morning and found out that our manager installed an upgraded version of our anti-virus software. It went in and disabled communication between the second network card and the rest of the network. Hence no one could access the proxy server through that card.

Instead of messing around with the configuration, we uninstalled it and went back to our previous security suite. Functionality is restored.

Now: Coffee!! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice