1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

proxy server win2k server 98 workstation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ren, Jun 26, 2002.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

i am just messing about experimenting on a few things at home and wondered if someone could give me some pointers on the folowing:
    I have myself a win2k server that is connected to the internet using a cable modem connected using a ethernet net card.
    I also have a 98 machine networked to the server using another ethernet net card in a workgroup
    I want to use the server as a proxy server so i can access the internet from the 98 machine
    i have tried a few diffrent things to get this working but usually end up losing all communication with the 98 pc
    from what i can gather it involves setting up tings with DNS, and sharing the connection to the internet, but i am not getting to far at the mo.
    can anyone point me in the right direction or better tell me how to do it?
    cheers

2. DMC2

DMC2

Have you tried installing ICS on both machines?

3. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

ICS?

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

5. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

I had never really heard of it before
    It looks very good, but unfortunately i need to have windows98 se or higher, my version fo win98 unfortunately isnt.
    i guess i ought to see if i can get a copy somewhere

6. DMC2

DMC2

That's why I have but I got ADSL since Monday so now I just use an ethernet hub.

You'll need a proxy server then. If the computer with 98 only needs to be able to access web pages, then you could use analogx.com's proxy program. (freeware)

Otherwise, you can use a more complex program. They're usually shareware.

7. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

nice cheers
    downloaded the analogx proxy server
    got it to work .... well for a bit
    then lost it, its probably something i have done
    if it worked once it will work again
    cheers for the advice

8. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You can have ICS. Only the host needs to be Win98SE or better (and you've got W2K) the clients can be as lowly as Win95 and it will still work.

9. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

really?
    From the instructions I read ICS needed to be installed on client pc also.
    I set the 2000 server up as instructed, i could not access the internet connection from the 98 pc.
    maybe i read something else incorrectly, but i got no joy from it at all.
    so what needs to be set up on the 98 pc then?, nothing?, surely i need to tell something somewhere to look for the shared net card?

10. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You do have to configure the client PCs too, but in order for it to work all they have to do is be able to get an IP address from a DHCP server, which is the host. As long as that host is running 98SE or better you are cooking with gas. It doesn't matter what OS the clients run. Its the host that is important.

Have a look at that link I posted and it will walk you through the entire process. As long as you go step by step and don't miss anything on either the client or the host it will all work fine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice