1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proxy Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Squashman, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Johnwill is going to love this one!

Alot of us recommend using AnalogX's Proxy server for Internet Connection Sharing instead of using Windows built ICS feature because it sucks. But I just found another free proxy server out there that has some really kick butt functionality.

Check it out.

http://www.webattack.com/get/freeproxy.html

2. Ramachandran

Ramachandran

Hello,

This free proxy is working good. But the authentication did not work in our network(LAN)

All LAN machines have IPs. INTERNET is available from a proxy server located away from us. Organisation of ours is large.I tried to run another proxy under this working proxy with Authentication . This aspect did not work with the free proxy..

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

Great find!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Man, look at the plans for early next year, that's going to be a class product! :D Always looking for better alternatives. One thing I don't like about AnalogX proxy is that you need different settings than the defaults for the clients. I like how ICS works for that one reason only, no reconfiguration of the client machines. Of course, ICS sucks so bad in other areas that it's a moot point. :D

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

I don't understand why everyone has a problem with ICS. on 98se, yes it sucked, but I've ran if from XP pro and 2000 advanced server without a problem, it works great for me. I used to use analog X but like John pointed out, ICS requires no client machine configuration. Set it up for dhcp and any computer can plug in and be on the net instantly.

6. Squashman

What took you so long to see that Johnwill. I posted that two weeks ago. I found another one called Free Proxy+. Have not tried it out yet. The free version of it only allows 3 concurrent connections, but that is all most people would need anyways.
    http://www.proxyplus.cz/

7. JohnWill

Actually, I'm not all that energetic looking for software solutions to this problem. I'm as much of a Router Pimp as you are, and that's my preferred solution. :D

8. Squashman

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Found a program that has a DHCP server builtin to it and it is free. Not that anybody needs to use a Proxy server these days. Don't know why I remember this trivial post from years ago.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Tftpd32.html

9. JohnWill

Did you get sucked up by the Internet WAYBACK machine? :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice