PS/2 keyboard not functioning in BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

egg64

Hi.

Got an issue here. There's an error in my computer and because I'm not able to do anything when the system BIOS prompts me to, I can't fix it. I can see power lights on my keyboard but still, trying to get inside the system BIOS menus, boot from CD, or or even start into safe mode are impossible for me. However, I can get inside the BIOS if I immediately, (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) hit the respective button as soon and the POST starts. But after that, when I'm inside the BIOS menu, again, I cant do anything. I've even tried using a PS/2 to USB adapter to see if it may work, but to no avail. Right now I'm trying to reset the jumpers and take out the battery in hope that this will reset the settings. I've benched down to everything except the hard drive, RAM, and processor. Any suggestions?

Compaq Presario SR1954NX
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1024 DDR-400 RAM
200GB Seagate SATA HD
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

Hey there egg64,

Have you tried using the keyboard in question on another computer,

OR:

1) Try another PS/2 keyboard on the computer, see if it works..

If not:

2) Try a USB keyboard..?

Just my .02... :)

Rick

Access BIOS and navigate to the exit menu.

You should see something worded such as "load defaults and exit" or "load optimal defaults and exit" the wording is different from BIOS to BIOS. In any event try to load your defaults, save and exit, and see if that solves your problem.

egg64

I've done both of those before but to know avail, but I do appreciate your 2 cents.

egg64

Ok, here's the thing. I can get into BIOS when I immediately press F1 upon startup, I just cant edit any new changes because my keyboard still wont function within BIOS. What do you think my next step is?

Access BIOS and under the ADVANCED tab see if you have a DRIVE CONFIGURATION MENU. If so, see if in that menu you have HARD DISK PRE-DELAY. If so, by default it is probably set as DISABLED. If you have an option see if you can set it for a 3 or 4 second delay.

This setting is normally used to slow the booting down so BIOS can detect IDE drives, however the machine may be booting to fast for BIOS to detect the native USB and PS2drivers.

If putting in a Pre-Delay doesn't help, you can always change it back to disabled very easily.

egg64

But I still cant move to any criteria whilst I'm inside of BIOS. It's like I'm showing up to a party only to sit there.

Is the keyboard you are using a straight PS2 keyboard, OR, is it a USB keyboard with a PS2 adapter attached.

If it is a USB keyboard with an adapter, borrow a straight PS2 keyboard and see if you can navigate in BIOS.

egg64

I've tried both using a PS/2 keyboard and using a PS/2 to USB adapter, and using various different keyboards, to no results whatsoever.

Let's start at the beginning. From post #1; "I'm not able to do anything when the system BIOS prompts me to" Exactly what is your BIOS prompting you to do? What message are you getting?

egg64

I get a Compaq splash screen. Says F1 <setup> F2<boot menu> F10<System Recovery>. If I hit F1 very immediately or F2 very immediately I can get into the respective menus, it doesnt let me use Recovery however. WHEN IM INSIDE THE F1 or F2 MENU, I can't move. I can put in a boot CD and it'll prompt me to press any key to boot from it, but since the keyboard doesn't work past a certain point, I can't do it.

Forgetting BIOS for a moment, if you just boot the machine will it boot to Windows?
If the machine boots to Windows, are the mouse and keyboard operable in Windows?
Are you running Windows XP?

egg64

No, it wont boot. I was trying to fix an ntoskernel error that's preventing Windows from starting, that's how I got into this mess. Yes, I am running Windows XP also.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online