PS Elements 3 will not read Rebel XT Raw files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

N Stephens

I just got a new Rebel XT to replace an older Canon Rebel. Now I find out PS Elements 3 will not read the RAW files and I will have to get an update to Elements. I can download an update but since I am not very computer savvy I don't know how to download this and get it to run. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Go to Adobe's site---then hit purchase, that will take you to the store. Find Elements, then pick upgrade version (its only 20 bucks less then the current version)---order it and download. Not to complex. By the way, there is an update for Elements 3.0 that will support your Rebels raw- It is FREE! Its Camera Raw version 3.1

Just download and install--save yourself some money: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Windows

N Stephens

Thanks for the info. I knew about the PS Camera RAW version 3.1 and I tried to download this but I must have done something wrong because I can't get it to do anything. It's sitting there in a ZIP file and everytime I try to open it I get a message that it's an Unknow Publisher or it's not the right kind of document.

o install:

Let me get this straight. you cant extract the file from the Zip? Or you are trying to open the file after extracting it? If you are trying to do that, you aren't doing what needs to be done. Follow these instructions:

First unzip the file to a known location that you can access. Then follow these instructions.

1. Exit Photoshop Elements.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats.
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure that you keep this version in case you need to revert.
6. Copy the new Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop Elements.

If you can't unzip it, let me know.

N Stephens

Thanks!!! That's exactly what I needed to know. But that brings up another question. If I remove the old Camera RAW.8bi file will Elements still read the old format? I have several thousand images in the old format.
All this makes me want to kick my dog!!!

buck52

Banned
It should...the update should include everything in the old plus the update

just in case save the old one where you can find it... As linskyjack says in step 5... I suggest not in your back pocket... ;)

Remember, the update merely adds cameras to the existing raw list so if it worked before, I dont see why it wouldn't work now. Give it a try and see what happens.

Buck--we must have posted at precisely the same time! Anyway, he can always save the old file and pop it back in if for some crazy reason it doesn't work. By the way Stephens, you owe me a beer for saving you twenty bucks! Actually I was shocked that they were charging 69.99 for an upgrade of a product that cost 89.00 new (and that's not the stree price).

N Stephens

Your instructions worked like a charm. I really do owe you one.
Not only did you save me twenty bucks OR MORE, but I had already spent a lot of time on the Adobe and Windows site trying to get some idea of how to solve my problem. Should have known I could count on you guys to steer me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online