1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PS/@ Keyboard/Mouse problems, XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kf4qhk, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kf4qhk

kf4qhk Thread Starter

Ok Guys,

I have an HP M1270N comptuer that I purchased, used, from a friend less than a week ago. It is a SWEET machine! It runs Windows XP, Media center edition. It uses mouse and keyboard, ps/2 connection.

let me give you background..

Last night, I was attempting to load some maps onto a Garmin GPS for a customer, and I had had a problem with the computer hibernating during the process. I went in and changed the hibernation time to 999 minutes, and when it hibernated, for it to not reset to the "Welcome" screen.

I left the GArmin plugged in overnight, copying the maps.

When I got up this morning, the GArmin program had not progressed beyond a certain amount of map data transferred, and when I tried to close that program, I got a "This program is not responding message." I tried to shut down by going to start, shut down, but it didnt.

So, I turned it off, from the front power switch. When it booted up, I logged into windows, but my keyboard wouldn't work. I restarted it from the start menu, and when it booted up, for about 10 times, I got any of these following things happening..
    1. sometimes the mouse wouldn't even work at the welcome scree
    2 sometimes the mouse would work for a few seconds, after i logged in, and then it would quit working
    3 sometimes the mouse would work fine, but still, no keyboard.

I checked the connections, and they are tight. I even unplugged them and plugged them back in.

What can I do? I can not even get it to start in safe mode, I believe the keyboard works before the windows start up screen, but doesn't work after that

Jeremy

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well it could be a lot of different things. Since safe mode doesn't work try unplugging the mouse and see if the keyboard works by itself. If not, try a different keyboard. If it does work try a different mouse. You can also try booting off the XP cdrom and doing a restore or repair. Was the computer working for your friend or was it bad for him also?

3. Swiper

Swiper

1. Check to make sure all fans are operating properly. ( cpu / video card / and especially the chipset fan (if there is one) )
    2. Check Power Management settings for Keyboard/Mouse PS/2 wake on features if enabled - disable it (vice versa)
    3. Trying different keyboards /mice would be a good option just to rule the equipment too.....

good luck !!!

Swiper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice