1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ps2 and vga distances

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isotonic_uk, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isotonic_uk

isotonic_uk Thread Starter

Hi

Does anyone know what sort of distances ps2 and vga can be taken to before there is any signal degregation.

I looking to run vga and ps2 cables just under 40metres away.

I was looking to join up two 15m ps2 male to female extensions. Does anyone know if there would be any issues for this.

Any sites which you think may be appropraite would be really useful

Thanking in advance

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Would depend on the quality of the cabling more than anything else.
    Shouldn't think you'd have any problems over that distance.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think that's certainly pushing the limit, but there are extender boxes that will boost the signals and allow you to connect them remotely. 120 feet is too far for just connecting them with long cords. Start looking here: http://www.kvms.com/vga-extender.asp

4. JohnWill

If you want more options, this Google Search should provide lots of reading.

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Why are you planning on running the cables so far?

There may be another approach.

6. JohnWill

I used to do stuff like this on Wall St. for trading firms, they'd have a control room where they'd manage all the equipment, but it would be in a machine room across the building.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Because of the low transfer rate of the PS/2 port, you shouldn't have any problems extending it.

You won't be as lucky extending SVGA, the maximum length for 800X600 will only be around 10 meters, depending on the quality of the cabling. You might be better off extending the svga signal with shielded cat5e or cat6 cabling. (make sure to use shielded cable, not the unshielded stuff)

http://www.elephantstaircase.com/wiki/index.php?title=VGAtoRJ45conversion

8. JohnWill

Actually, without a signal boost, I doubt you'd get the keyboard to work at 120 meters. Another issue is the +5V power going down the cable, it'll have to be a pretty heavy wire not to have a significant drop in voltage for that long a run. :)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've had mice not work on 20m extensions on one set of systems and work fine on another pair, so what 'may' work for one system may not work on for another.

10. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I'd still like to know he has to run VGA and PS/2, not another approach.

I'm sure there are times when its a good idea, but I'm wondering if for him there is a better approach.

11. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice