1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PS2 - Disk Read Error

Discussion in 'Games' started by Denchi_desu, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Denchi_desu

Denchi_desu Thread Starter

I know there's a forum for this open already but It didn't seem very active and I'd rather catch someone's attention than hope for activity.

My PS2 Slim-Line is about a year and a half old and I haven't had any trouble with it until recently, my problem is that it stopped reading PS2 discs (DVD-ROM) and DVD(video) It still reads Blue discs, PS1 and CDs. When a PS2 disc is in it sometimes it wont turn on, and it wont shut off unless the disc cover is opened. I was told to try and clean the lens and that didn't work so I was looking for advice of any sort or information that could help me.

I Played a Japanese CD in it than played a PS2 disc but after I shut it off and tried to play again it wouldn't read PS2 discs or DVDs..... if that helps at all... cause it might...

Thank you

2. Denchi_desu

I forgot to mention that it doesn't give me an error message of any sort it just continues to try and read the disc.... It also makes a soft ticking sound while trying to read the disc.

I tried all my PS2 dics as well as a few of my friends and all the DVDs I could find

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Jap disc huh? Is it modded?

I don't know if this is it or not, but I think I heard that with some mod chips if you use another format ( NTSC or PAL) your PS2 can auto set to that format...

I hope that's not what happened.

Have you looked into the sites that have you adjust the laser?
    And if it's not modded you can try to ask Sony.. Ya never know until you ask.

BTW, PS2's have had much trouble with reading discs.. So your not alone. Thankfully my PS2 has continued to work.

Edit: this may offer some help with the laser adjustment... http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars
    Also some say just stand it on it's side and it can read discs again.. ??? worth a shot right?
    (y)

4. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

i highly doubt this is it but the disc spindle might have come loose somehow

5. Denchi_desu

Thank you ^^ ...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice