1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PS2 doesnt run playstation games..?

Discussion in 'Games' started by UZZY, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UZZY

UZZY Thread Starter

hello, i got this problem with my playstation 2, the problem is that when ever i put a playstation one disk in there, the ps2 makes a very loud odd noise and doesnt start the game? i put final fantasy VII in there and this happend, to make sure the problem was just with playstation one games, i tried metal gear solid and a few other of my playstation one games, and the exact same happend?? the funny thing is that, the ps2 runsPS2 and DVDS perfectly fine? can someone please help me out?

Also the playstation one games are in good condition, no bad scratches or anythin.

2. imidiot

imidiot

3. UZZY

UZZY Thread Starter

thanks for the help mate, but none of the psone games i have are on that list. Also i forgot to mention that about a year ago the game were working fine on my ps2.

4. imidiot

imidiot

not a gamer, your question looked interesting. sorry i could not be of more help.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm assuming you get the DRE (Disk Read Error). If you haven't took your PS2 to SONY for repair, then that's what you need to do. There was a major problem with the lens/drive where it will not read certain discs (for me it was any dvd-type disc, PS2 and DVD) so chances are that the same problem is with your PS2. Contact SONY on 1-800-345-SONY (for US customers) and go through their questions. They should be able to give you a free repair, even if it's over the warranty. Mine was over 1 year past the warranty and still repaired it. (actually they replaced it :))

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Edit - being crazy....

Wait is the PS2 the slim version or the earlier model?

7. UZZY

UZZY Thread Starter

early model

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then contact SONY and see what they say. I would think it's still under warranty.

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hehe.. I'm SOL in that regard.. I tried to have a mod chip put in.. so I don't think they'll touch mine..
    But it does still work, so..

I have a ver. 9 PS2, I was told those had the laser hooked up wrong..
    Somehow it was hooked to 12V instead of the 5V it should have..
    Mine was corrected by my Mod guy, but maybe yours is burnt out..

Since it's a factory goof, it should be fixed free.. If that's your problem.. Can't hurt to call and ask..

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Speaking of mod guys, did you read this?:eek:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...01_KNE072347_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MEDIA-XBOX-DC.XML

There was a guy here locally selling modded PS2's from his store and he got busted. He is doing time now. He also was selling computers with bogus copies of XP. There was a bit about him on the news a while back that he is facing charges on that one too.

I wonder how in the name of all that is good he thought he was going to get away with selling bogus copies of windows?

11. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

?.. OK, Not so much a "Mod guy" as someone who could solder those ridiculously small connections in there..

Heard it was made legal in Australia .. No matter, the chip for mine didn't work, so it was taken out..

Hope yous is still covered by Sony..

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yep, it was deemed legal by the Austrialian Court. It was to help the PS2'ers get cheaper games. I think the mods themselves werent the ones to play priated games, but more to remove the region code. (PAL, NTSC etc)

13. coolguy204

coolguy204

14. UZZY

UZZY Thread Starter

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    just be careful. Anything that is not right will damage your PS2. First you should use a DVD/CD Lens Cleaner.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice