1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ps3 download speed under 10Mbps

Discussion in 'Games' started by mreza1992, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreza1992

mreza1992 Thread Starter

Hello techguy forum. I am writing regarding my ps3 system. It only getting less than 10Mbps download speed from Playstation network. I have a 30Mbps internet connection from Virgin through wifi and i am wondering why this might happen?

I have searched around internet and found DMZ'ing and port forwarding as possible solutions but i have tried these and still i am getting slow download speed. Is there any way to fix this? I play online games and it gets annoying when it lags all the time.:(

Thankyou in advance for all help and support. :)

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  3. mreza1992

mreza1992 Thread Starter

hello thanks for your reply. the speed is not always 10Mbps it often goes down to 1Mbps. It doesn't even reach that high. max speed i have seen it do is 9.5Mbps.

These speed test websites only give download speeds from specific servers, not from the psn servers. is it possible that the problem is from sony?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Personally I think it's whatever speed test server it is that is not allowing to show the full speeds. If it's SONYs PSN server... that's a little silly since there will be too many users on...

But definitely check your speeds with the other sites as you may have a different issue.

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

This may apply also.. I have 15Mbs cable and notice allot of speed variations. If I test with my ISPs test server it is full speed, if I use speedtest.net it can vary by whatever test location I pick. Some times I can get better speed from a server 900 miles away while one 70 miles is half as fast.
    It's like buying a house.. location, location, location. :D

Also, these big companies set up their networks to handle maximum traffic, often the bandwidth per connection is limited.
    Especially during peak use hours.
    like trying to download from Microsoft, most downloads are limited to about 300k/s, but say P2P WoW patches and I can get close to 2MB/s some times. MS can easily push far more bandwidth but they want as many people to connect as possible.

Often we are paying for far more speed than we actually get to use. :rolleyes:

Edit: Seeing many posts of slow PSN speeds so it's not just you. many people are stuck at 2Mb/s so your 9 is still pretty high.
    one Playstation rep posted;

6. mreza1992

mreza1992 Thread Starter

hello i don't think location has anything to do with slow speed in this case since i connected to a uk server this morning and ran a speed test but only got 2Mbps speed. I hooked teh ps3 up with an ethernet and got 15Mbps speed but it is still half the speed my isp provides me.

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yes, your PS3 speed will be determined by the PSN servers, not your ISP. So it will depend on where and what path is taken to connect to the PSN server. The PSN networks are separate from what your computers use. The PS3 "calls" the Playstation network, connects to it, then everything it searches for is routed through the PSN.

Basically your ISP speed is what is maximum for you at the best possible conditions. Not what you will connect at most the time.
    Not sure if you understand how computers connect, if not, http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001358.htm The speed variations come in during the "several routers and computers" part of the trip. Your at the mercy of those routers. That's where location comes in. By location I meant the location of the "hops" taken from your home to the destination. As for the Playstation, just imagine another server added after your ISP, between it and the "internet".

I'm sorry if you do know all that, but it does show why there can be such speed variations.

8. mreza1992

mreza1992 Thread Starter

Thank you for your information and the link. I figured out what the problem was. It was the wifi signal and it kept increasing/decreasing so i plugged in ethernet cable and now running wired connection. I get much better games now. The download speed is still 18Mbps but i understand that it is the best i can get from psn. It is downloading fast from ps store too. thanks for the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice