1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ps3 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ninjaman123, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninjaman123

ninjaman123 Thread Starter

So I have the original 40GB ps3 fat, with a 120gb SSD, I have put arctic silver 5 on the heatsinks, but the fan still comes on high within a few minutes of playing. It's completely dust free I take it apart every couple of months and do a deep clean. The fan blows out hardcore hot air so I know it's cooling good, but could it be a bad fan controller?

2. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

The SSD will not make any difference whatsoever in the performance.
    Your question will not be answered here. This is a forum for hardware, not consoles.

3. ninjaman123

Obviously it did make a difference, the stock 40gb hard drive was slow as crap. After the SSD everything was faster, especially browsing my music, movies, copying files, things like that. This isn't a Ps3 forum, but this is hardware related.

4. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

I didn't know you could store things other than games on the PS3's HDD.

Yes, this is a hardware forum but no one is going to reply to your question simply because many people on here do not have experience with consoles.
    I would say that the fan spinning up to the max is normal- are you sure that you did not damage any of the fan wires when working on the console? Also, how hot is the console actually getting?

5. ninjaman123

It get's pretty hot actually. It doesn't worry me how hot it gets because of the amount of hot air coming out I know that it won't break but I just don't get why the fan comes on so high. I didn't damage any wires on it. I was going to liquid cool it but they discontinued the blocks.

6. Simba7

Simba7

I would've gone with a decent-sized 5400RPM or 7200RPM drive myself. That 40GB drive is probably 7-8 years old and was probably having issues.

The recent 54/7200RPM drives are rather fast.. but you won't get the maximum benefit of an SSD in a PS3 since it's probably only capable of SATA-I.

The original PS3 (actually, it's probably a 2nd gen since the original had a 20 or 60GB HDD) does run hot. It was wise to put good thermal paste on the chips, but it will still run rather warm. Just don't put it in a cramped space and you'll be fine.

7. ninjaman123

When I built my Pc I went ahead and ordered another SSD for my ps3 since I needed one anyway. Newegg gave me like 40% off the drive which was already only $99 (Kingston Hyper X 3k)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice