PS3 won't go online while playing PS2 game

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chaospearl

Hi folks!

I have an odd problem. I have a 20gb PS3, the model that features backwards compatibility with PS2 games. I can play PS2 stuff on it with no trouble. The problem is that when a PS2 game disc is inserted, the PS3 loses its Internet connection.

I first noticed it because I was trying to transfer songs from Rock Band (a PS2 game) and use them with Rock Band 2 (a PS3 game). In order to do this, you need a software update for the original Rock Band disc. And I can't download that update because whenever I put the RB disc into the PS3, it won't go online.

At first I thought it was an issue with the Rock Band game disc itself, so I tried talking to their tech support, but it turns out the same thing happens with ANY game for PS2. If I'm already logged into the PlayStation Network when I put in a PS2 game, it immediately boots me offline and gives me a "You have been signed out" message. If I power the PS3 on with a PS2 game in there, it won't connect to begin with. It does this for every PS2 game I've tried. I have no idea why.

Is this normal, not being able to access the PS3's internet capability while a PS2 game is loaded? I can't find any reference to it while Googling but maybe I'm not using the right search terms. And if it's not normal, any idea why it might be happening and how I could fix it? I have a 20gb PS3 that uses an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet. It works perfectly well UNLESS I put a PS2 game in there. PS3 games can connect just fine, and it also connects when there's a DVD or Blu-ray disc in there, or when there's no disc at all. I've tried replacing the ethernet cable, and connecting the cable directly to the modem instead of the router. Nothing works. I honestly don't think it's a problem with my network. It's something about the PS3 itself that chokes out the internet connection when a PS2 game disc is inserted.

Any ideas?

chaospearl

Hi :)

Yeah... I actually did try that, but Sony is not interested in helping me because I bought my PS3 refurbished. :( 'Swhy I'm here.

When you play a PS2 game on a PS3 you don' loose internet connection, it automatically signs you out. I know this from experience. I have a 80Gb Backwards Compatible PS3. This is a stupid thing but its how they made it, Don't know why.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi :)

Yeah... I actually did try that, but Sony is not interested in helping me because I bought my PS3 refurbished. :( 'Swhy I'm here.
ahh i see... well, not sure why it's designed like that... unless it's something to do how the networking hardware/system is made in the PS3 might differ from a PS2... since PS2 Network cards were optional external devices.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online