1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PS3, XBOX & Wii

Discussion in 'Networking' started by G-Stress, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

I'm not a gamer, but am curious about the best configuration on a standard home network with all 3 consoles or more connected to the internet for gameplay?

There is always the DMZ, but most standard store bought router's only support 1 DMZ server. So how should one configure a wireless router for optimum gameplay without forwarding specific ports for each game to the console?

To my understanding it's best to put a single console in the DMZ so gameplay doesn't have to be filtered before it hits the console. Is there a better way?

I have friends with similar setups so I'm curious in case I decide to get a ps3, xbox, wii or all 3.

2. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

I have always just allowed Universal Plug and Play UPnP. Basically it allows the individual consoles (and programs on your computer) contact the router and set up the ports it needs to forward. Otherwise you will need to go through the process of setting up a static ip for all the consoles and forward each port that you need to the correct ip.

3. G-Stress

G-Stress Thread Starter

I see, I didn't know it did that for gaming console systems. I've heard it's very, very bad to have enabled though, very vulnerable to exploits.

4. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

It is true that if a potentially harmful program can get access to the router that it can open up the ports it needs, but that is why you need a decent firewall on your computer as well. That is the first line of defense.

If you want to do everything manually, you can probably forward ports <insert console here>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice