Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS4 Randomly Shuts Off

2K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  crcook84 
#1 ·
I just got my PS4 a few days ago and it wasn't until now that I was able to start playing with it. At first, while I was setting it up, it would shutdown while I was trying to find information about particular functions. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Now that I've finished setting it up, it will freeze and shutdown if I'm doing something as simple at looking through the menus on the main screen. I found information about how update 2 was causing problems and that update 2.01 fixed that. However, I have update 3.11.

So, before I return it and hope the second one doesn't have a problem, any solutions?

#3 ·
I think I found one solution. The PS4 has a safe mode. While it's off, you need to hold down the power button. There will be the first beep. Wait 8 seconds until you hear the second beep. Then you can let go of the button. The PS4 will automatically go into safe mode.

#4 ·
I left the PS4 on while I went to an appointment to see if it would shutdown. Either it did or I forgot to turn off sleep mode. However, I had a dentist appointment of which I had to set a timer for a procedure. I'm pretty sure it's been on a good 45 minutes, which is longer than the 5 to 10 minutes it would stay on before freezing and shutting down.

#5 ·
I've thought about this situation for a little bit. I'm sure SONY has some mass assembly line that it uses to make PS4s in bulk. When it gets to the hard drives, I'm sure it clones drives from a master file to be put into a PS4. As much as I'm sure they do spot checks; obviously, there's that one hard drive in a thousand that's gonna end up fragmented no matter how good the master file is. As such, it's nice that SONY added the safe mode to their PS4. Of course, at the same time, did they do it to make the process more straight forward for players or because they knew their console would have problems and wanted to give players an easier means by which to troubleshoot problems as they arose.

#7 ·
Scratch this. I went out and got a replacement PS4. No more problems. I will remark that I think the first one seemed to get more hot than the second one. Maybe it had a heat sink problem. But, that wouldn't explain why I could play 45 minutes in the game and have problems being on the main menu for less than 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.