1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSA: Seagate Rosewood drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zx10guy, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

Ran across this video on Seagate Rosewood drives. If you have any of these drives, I would seriously heed the warning of the author of the video and back up your data.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks zx10guy.

Having had problems in the distant past with an external USB Seagate drive, I've avoided the product for at least a decade. ( click of death with less than 100 hours )

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

Quit using Seagate or Toshiba drives about 10 years ago, WD black & SSD's for me.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only spin type drives I use are WD black or red series. There is a reason why WD black drives have a 5yr warranty and seagate drives 2 or 3yr warranty.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Any opinions about Hitachi drives?

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

My only experience with Hitachi drives have been with their enterprise products. They've been good in those applications.

I used to shun Western Digital drives when I was affected by the click of death a long long time ago. In WD's defense, they owned up to the problem and had a program in place to replace affected drives. The last WD drive I bought was their purple drive for my security system NVR. It's been running without problems 24/7 for about 5 years now.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is an old [640GB I think] Black drive in my in-laws system approx 9yr old and used every day.
    FWIW I have had drives from ALL [even WD] fail; however I have never had a black or raptor drive fail. There is an old 300gig raptor drive in my home theater system. Sounds like a rock crusher however it is still going strong. I think that drive is from 09 or so.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice