1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSP 7 error message

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Grimreaper1, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grimreaper1

Grimreaper1 Thread Starter

I have not used PSP 7 for some time but when I click on the text button I get and error message "PSP has caused an error in PSP.exe PSP will now close. If you continue to experience problems try re-starting your computer" When I click the close button PSP shuts down and I am left with a second error message "PSP has caused an error in MFC42.DLL . PSP will now close. If you continue to experience problems try re-starting your computer"
    I have tried the following;-
    Re-started the computer, Put the original PSP disk in and tried to repair it. Completely uninstalled PSP, including running a registry cleaner, and re-installing PSP. All these actions have failed. Other than the text problem PSP runs OK Any ideas?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

E-mail their support site. They are very good at answering back.

3. Grimreaper1

Thanks Longhair, will do

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The following was obtained from the PSP support site:

This message is caused by earlier or multiple versions of the file MFC42.DLL.

To correct the problem, perform a search on your system for the file MFC42.DLL. Once found, rename the file (all instances if more then one) MFC42.BAK, then reinstall Paint Shop Pro.

5. Grimreaper1

Just did as you suggested. The reinstall did replace the MFC42.DLL but the same date and size as the bak one. The result is the same. I click on the text tool (A) this brings up a plus cursor (+) and an A to the right of it. This is normal but when I click on an image to add text nothing happens, a text window should open. Clicking a couple of time brings up the two error messages described earlier. Thanks for your help. I have sent an e-mail explaining this fault to Jasc. I will let you know the result
    Many thanks

6. WaltA

WaltA

I just started to get the same sort of error with PSP 7. :(

I am using MFC42.DLL version 6.0.8665.0. I have tried putting a copy of this version, and some others too, into the PSP directory. That didn't help and even sometimes made it worse. :confused:

I wonder if the MFC42.DLL is being changed or replaced with a version which is incompatible with PSP 7 by some other (common) program during its install? :confused:

I also wonder if the reference to MFC42.DLL is a "red herring"? I mean, the error message points to MFC42.DLL, but maybe that isn't the true cause of the problem? I wonder this because changing the version of MFC42.DLL itself doesn't seem to help.

I have tried installing the 7.04 update, and that didn't help either. Plus, while installing the update, I get an error that MSVCP60.DLL is in use, and can't be update. I would have thought that Jasc would have copied MSVCP60.DLL during a re-boot. :confused:

Grimreaper1, if you hear back from Jasc, please do post their response here!

7. Grimreaper1

Walta
    I could not resolve this problem. I did not get a responce from JASC. I had another problem at the same time to do with Outlook express. I had lots of advice on the OE problem but still it remained. In the end I uninstalled PSP backed up a lot of my files and re-installed WindowsME over itself. This fixed Outlook Express. I reinstalled all my files and finally re-installed PSP. The problem was gone. I'm no saying that you should re-install your operating system but it fixed my problems. No idea why they started in the first place though. Best of luck

8. acraftylady

acraftylady

If you post on the forums at Jasc you will get a quicker response with problems. When ever I post I get an aswer with in a few mintues from someone so I find it better than e-mailing them.

9. Grimreaper1

Thank you, I will do so in future

10. acraftylady

acraftylady

I meant to say the Jasc forums will give you a quicker response compared to e-mailing Jasc. I just realized it sounded like I was saying this forum is slow and that's not what I meant. The only reason I suugest their forums is you can do a search and see if anyone else is having that problem. I figure two heads are better than one when solving these things.

11. Grimreaper1

No worries

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice