1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSPXI Plugins (Filters)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by PaleDeer, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaleDeer

PaleDeer Thread Starter

[SIZE="3"]Recently my computer was infected with a virus. The virus has been removed, computer
    set back to factory defaults and I reloaded some of the programs I use most.
    When installing my Paint Shop Pro XI Plugns some of them didn't work. In checking the
    folders I noticed that the filters looked like a Blue Wall Plug instead of the silver icon
    they were before.
    Can someone tell me how to reset them so I can use them in my graphics?
    Thank you,[/SIZE]

2. southernlady

southernlady

First, have you reinstalled the dll's that you need? If it's windows XP you need 5, if it's Vista, there are 6.

On a Vista system you need to make sure you are an administrator or you can't make the filters work.

Some filters are .exe files and are installed like normal programs just as Paint Shop Pro is. You just make sure you install it so that it is pointing to PSP. And make a folder in your My Documents folder for those files on your hard drive.

The rest of your filters, the ones that end in the .8bf extension can be put in a folder so that all your graphics programs can share them. I have mine in a folder called Plugins on my external and share them between 4 different versions of PSP, Ulead X3, and Adobe CS.

What you do is make a folder either in a separate drive, like a second hard drive or if you don't have that, put it in your My Documents folder with the .exe programs.

Unlike the .exe which have to be installed as programs (ie run an installer) the others/.8bf extension can be copied into the folder (drag and drop).

This has to be done with PSP CLOSED. Once you are done, open psp, Scroll down to File> Preferences>File Locations> Scroll down on the left to where you see plugins. That box will allow you to scroll to new location of your plugins. Click Add.

IF you are on Vista, once you have added your plugins, go to this site and download the FMPatcher if you have Vista, and install it. Follow their instructions and patch all the folders you can patch to make all your plugins Vista Compatible. If it doesn't patch, either it is already compatible or there isn't a patch.

I hope that helps. Liz

3. PaleDeer

PaleDeer Thread Starter

Thank you Southern Lady.
    That did help. The only plugin that is
    giving me trouble now is EyeCandy 4000.
    I've contacted Alien Skin to see if thy will
    provide another copy. The one I have
    may be corrupted.
    Thanks again,
    Pale

4. southernlady

southernlady

Glad it helped.

As to EC 4000, they will probably want you to buy the next set up since 4000 is out of date and a legacy program now. Good luck getting that resolved.

Liz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice