1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.pst files lost

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dcgreen1, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcgreen1

dcgreen1 Thread Starter

:)I recently lost my .pst files during a computer crash. Tech guys said a partition failed but kept original hard drive and reloaded data. The .pst files are not where they should be and do not know where to find them. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

2. helpful

helpful

search for *.pst? You may need to take ownership on the reloaded data since the original hard drive/reloaded data permissions would have orphan sid permissions.

3. dcgreen1

dcgreen1 Thread Starter

Thank you. Now that I have found them, how do I open them? In outlook? or in themselves? dcgreen1

4. helpful

helpful

1. Open Outlook-->select Tools-->select Options

2. A new Options window should open-->select Mail Setup-->select Data files-->
    A new Outlook Data files window should open--> you can view current PST files/
    view settings or add a new PST file

3. Click Add--> New Outlook Data File window should pop up-->select Office
    Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) for new PST file format. The 97-2002 PST is
    older PST format. -->ok

4. A new window will appear, asking the location of the PST file currently creating
    or the location of the current PST file the user want to open.

Browse to saved location-->select ok

5. A new window will appear, select the name you want to display in
    Outlook for your PST file.

6. Then a window will appear indicating PST file was added in Outlook.-->select
    Close -->ok

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!