1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PST files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Merrion, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Merrion

Merrion Thread Starter

I started a backup of pst files recently, however, I had to stop mid-way. I deleted the partially complete backup pst file from my hard drive. Now every time I open Outlook (2007) I get repeated messages that pst file cannot be found. How do I stop these messages appearing.
    Thank you
    :)

2. Rockn

Rockn

You probably deleted the wrong one. Did you do a backup or an archive?

3. Merrion

Merrion Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn
    While Outlook was open, I went into File, then Import Export, then choose Export to a File, then choose .pst file. I selected that it save to my Desktop - I was then planning to save it from the Desktop to an external drive. The export function started but I realised that it would take hours, so I cancelled it and then deleted the pst file that had now appeared on my Desktop with a plan to do a full export at a later stage. Now when I open Outlook, I get multiple repeated messages advising that the pst file cannot be found. Hope this gives you more information. Thanks. M

4. Rockn

Rockn

Can you recover the file from the recycle bin and see if the message goes away?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Go into file data management in Outlook and see if the one on the desktop is listed. This might be under the File menu. I don't have Outlook 2007 up at the moment and can't find exact instructions for you, but I suspect that's the problem.

6. Merrion

Merrion Thread Starter

Thanks Double Helix
    Yes the files are there in the data management link in Outlook. I don't want to recover them. They can be deleted completely. I would like to stop the multiple repeated messages that the pst file cannot be found. Thanks M

7. Merrion

Merrion Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn
    Yes they are in the Recycle bin but the files are huge and I would like to delete them completely. If I restore them to the desktop and then copy them to an external drive, will that stop the messages appearing? Thanks M

8. Rockn

Rockn

Just delete the correct one from data management and the messages should go away.

9. Merrion

Merrion Thread Starter

Thanks, this appears to have worked.
    Thanks to all for the help - much appreciated.
    M

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice