1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Psu Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by millert, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. millert

millert Thread Starter

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

You need to test your links in preview before submitting. Neither the link to TigerDirect, nor the link to Walmart work. :(

I recommend you use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your PSU needs. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom. I recommend setting capacitor aging to 30% and if you participate in distributive computing projects, I recommend setting TDP to 100%.

3. Azelino

Azelino

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

No way to know that yet, not until we know what hardware it needs to support. Nice supply, but it may be too small, so pointless to "guess" at this point in time.

5. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

I already gave you a reccomendation on your other thread. Why are you posting again? I told you not to buy a PSU from Best Buy. A 430W antec PSU for $95!!! that is insanely overpriced. Once again here is a link to the power supply I reccomended:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

That is a high quality 500W power supply for nearly half the price of what your looking at.
    You don't need 500W but $50 is the cheapest a high quality brand like Cooler Master goes unless you get the 430W model but that doesn't have a 120MM fan like this one does. Antec is a high quality brand and i'm sure the one at Best Buy is more than enough to power your PC with that card but why would you want to pay that much more for less?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

cfhpantera,
    You need to back it down a little bit, we have a new member here. And inexpensive Cooler Master psu's are crap besides.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

I did not notice the price - that is high at Best Buy - however it is not "insanely overpriced" considering that PSU has 85% efficiency rating and the cheap Cooler Master you suggested has a lousy 70%. Newegg does sell that Antec for $90.

I agree with Rich - and the "cheap" Cooler Masters are not very good - they are reliable, but inefficient, and LOUD. They do make excellent high-end models with >85% efficiency, but they are very pricey.

Nevertheless, unless Azelino and millert are one in same, Azelino's Antec 430 suggestion, as well as cfhpantera's response to it, are merely moot points.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!