1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xavious, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xavious

xavious Thread Starter

Ok, I'm pretty good at building my own PC's, but one aspect ive never really done much with is the PSU, I've always just used what the tower came with (yeah i know they are the cheapest thing the manufacturer can put in there), but my PSU fans are getting really noisy and i really dont want it to meltdown and take anything else with it.

i know very little about PSU's so i will just list my system.

eVGA 680i mobo http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=122-CK-NF67-T1
    Pentium Core2Duo E6400
    2GB Corsair XMS ddr800
    2X Nvidia 7600GT SLI (no i didnt buy two of these just for SLI, it was a planned upgrade path, i stole the wifes when i upgraded hers to an 8series)
    DVD RW
    80GB SATA HDD
    standard floppy drive
    lots of fans and lighting on the tower

what i am looking for mostly is the little 8-pin power line that connects directly to the CPU (on the mobo right next to the CPU) and the ability to upgrade in the future to video cards that require direct power and addional HDD's. The mobo manual says you can run without that 8-pin and use the 4-pin instead for the CPU power, but performance will be impacted, havent noticed anything but would really like to run with everything i got at full capacity. currently my PSU is also using all of its 4 pin power leads for all the fans and drives, i couldnt add another HDD if i wanted to without some splicing (yuck).

i hope to spend under 100 bucks, but really have no idea since i dont know wtf im looking for, any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice