1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU advise please!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi, I'm searching for a new PSU and all I need is advise on what brands to look for. I'll be looking for a PSU capable of running 3 hard drives, a floppy drive, a CD-RW and a DVD +-RW Dual layer drive. Perhaps a 400W?
    Thanks

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

There's some very good units but the first question is, as always, what do you have to spend? Good units are Thermaltake, Enermax, some Antec, etc. $$$ is the key to make and model.

3. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Thanks! Spending wise - I 'm looking as cheaply as possible (don't wanna vex the wife!!!) Obviously, being in UK, I'm not up-to-speed with the old £ to $ conversion!!!

4. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

I guess I'm looking at around £20 which may be around $40. The brands you suggested seem to be top-of-the-range? I'm not looking to spend that much (see my PC specs to give reason why!!!)

Perhaps I could look at mid-range brands? Any suggestions?

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

6. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

See above - lol

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Typing at the same time. This will be a bit difficult to find one for you since I can't really look at UK sites and judge value so I'll say this, look for Thermaltake, Enermax and Antec in you're price range. I'm sorry to say that $55.00 isn't a great deal when looking for quality. The wattage isn't really the deciding factor. There are PSUs out there that quote 600 watts that are complete junk. Others that are rated at 350 watts that are excellent. Brand name is everything to most of us. Look for a site like Newegg in your part of the world and pick a couple then post the link then we can see it and advise. That's the best I can do.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Boy are we out of sync :D

9. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

OK. We have a site over here :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk which tends to use top quality hardware. A lot of gamers/tech freaks (for want of a better phrase) use this.

I'll look around and post back - thanks bro!

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

11. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Looks good - there's one on one of the ebay shops for £24.99 (about $48) - I'll have another look in the morning - it's very late here!!!

Thanks for the help!

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

Good luck!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice