1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU capacity enough for videocard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nuel_espi13, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nuel_espi13

nuel_espi13 Thread Starter

Hey, I just bought a new video card for my HP pavilion p6040d, an Inno3d geforce 9500gt 512mb ddr3. It was when I was about to install it that I read about PSU requirements.
    According to HP I only have a 250w power supply.
    Will it be enough to support the card or will I have to upgrade to a higher PSU? the box and install kit does'nt mention anything about the PSU

Here are my specs:
    Its a pre-built system HP pavilion p6040d
    Windows 7 prof. 64bit
    intel pentium dual core e5200 2.5ghz
    2gb ddr2 ram
    320gb SATA
    intel GMA 3100 (integrated)graphics
    and it has a super multi drive with lightscribe tech
    pci-e

Help please :confused:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 9500 requires a min of 350W so yes you need a bigger pw supply. This is one of the problems with big box systems; they are not really upgradeable in any real sense.

3. nuel_espi13

Yeah but according to extremezone my system only uses 220w. Is it too risky to try installing the card?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have been told what the minimum requirements are; if you choose to ignore those requirements, it is your decision.

Gee the car maker says to change oil every 5000 miles. I think I can go 15,000 miles without a problem.

5. nuel_espi13

oh, okay, sorry, its just that I don't have the money for another PSU

6. Compiler

Compiler

I've gone over 10,000 miles since my last oil change.... :( Oil is just starting to not look so good. :)

The 9500GT is a pretty weak gaming card by todays standards, but should do fine with older games, 1650x1050 shouldn't be bad... but a 250w PSU? I thought most HPs were using 300s.

You risk damage to your computer... why? While the computer may work with what you want... you'll be over-working your PSUs. Typically, you don't want more than 70% of constant power wattage. The higher you go, the hotter the PSU gets, the faster it wears out and poof... either the PSU shuts down (good) or dies (okay, could be worse) or kills your computer (very much a bad thing).

Yes, we've gotten posts where someone installed a $250 video card with an under-powered $20 power supply. Lets see... yep, fried everything... PSU, CPU, motherboard, RAM, the new $250 video card... don't know about the HD.

Unlike people, you noticed and asked the question first... that is a very good thing.

This is the cheapest PSU I would recommend for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=thermaltake_power-_-17-153-023-_-Product

It can easily handle what you have and should do fine with ATI 4670 and 5770 cards or Geforce 9800GT or GT240... otherwise look at 500~550w. Thats $36 before rebate. Other brands: OCZ, Thermaltake and Antec for value... anything else cheaper is junk... fake "500 watt" junk units that are more like 250watt PSUs in real life.

PS: crjdriver : The Thermaltake 430w has been changed to a newer ATX 2.2 version with a PCIe x6 power connector. It still only has 2 SATA power connectors, yet 6 Molex connectors (huh?) still a decent $36~24 PSU for those with limited budgets... it looks a tad shallower than its previous version. They should have dumped 3 Molex for another 2 SATA power connections.

7. Valent

Valent

that made me laugh :)

I would deffo recomend you upgrade as not only will it assure the success of your new card, but can future proof you from futher upgrades.

220 is kinda low for what is standard these days.

Good luck mate.

8. nuel_espi13

Thanks, I'm kinda low on cash right now so I guess the card will have to wait...
    No to generic, got it, thanks!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice