1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Connection to Motherboard Issue 24Pin - (w/ Pics)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Key_Notes88, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Key_Notes88

Key_Notes88 Thread Starter

Hey guys, so my computer's been turning off randomly lately and having trouble booting up. After much troubleshooting, I found the culprit. The 24 pin connection from the PSU to the motherboard has two corroded pins, which make for a spotty connection. I removed the connector and used some condensed air to spray the receptacles clean and reconnected it. Then the computer booted up just fine. I turned it back off to prevent any further damage from occurring, but I was wondering, does anyone know why these pins get damaged like this, or what I can do to keep this from progressing? Pics found below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Damage was probably caused by arcing between the plug and the socket for those 2 connections.

I would look at that connector in the dark to see if there is still any arcing, you should see a glow if there is. Let us know.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would clean the contacts with real contact cleaner; available at any electric supply store or auto parts store. If you go to an auto parts store, go to a real store and not a kragen, auto zone, etc. This stuff is about $10 per can [the last time I purchased] however it does a very good job of cleaning and leaves no residue.

I agree those marks are caused by either arcing or overheating of the contacts.

4. Key_Notes88

Thanks guys. After doing some research and learning about arcing. I see why this happened. Thanks for the real contact cleaner tip. I'll be going to pick up a can today.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have a low end pw supply, you might consider replacing that as well. You did not post any specs on your system so we do not know what exact parts you are using.

It is also possible that this was caused simply by not having the connector fully inserted into the mb socket.

6. Key_Notes88

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. The connector clip on the outside was not clipping on the base, and was actually stuck in the up position from where it wasn't making full contact, so I'm wondering how long it was like that. I depressed it so it would clip back on and made sure it went all the way in when I reconnected. This was the PSU unit in question http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFODS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a fine pw supply. The tx, hx, or ax models from corsair are very good units. Just be sure the connector is fully seated. If the mb socket is not right over a standoff, the board usually flexes when you push down to seat the connector in the socket. What I do is slip a finger under the mb [between the board and tray] so when I push down, the board will not flex.

8. Key_Notes88

Yes, this psu has served me well. I bought it to replace a crappy Sparkle Unit. Unfortunately, this was user error on seating the connection as you said. Using my finger to not flex the board sounds like a good method. Thanks again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice