1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itsgcq, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itsgcq

itsgcq Thread Starter

Hi. Today, my computer auto shutdown due to overheating. So I decided to open the CPU and I used a gas duster (the one that sprays air) to clean my fan. I also wiped up some dust from the metal parts on the bottom of the CPU. Then I put my case back on and plugged the adapter to the PSU. Once the adapter went in fully, there was a spark and a loud noise. It smelled like the PSU is toasted. I tried plugging the adapter again and booting the computer, but it wouldn't turn on. It is not a problem with the outlet, my monitor is still on, just not the CPU. What can I do? :(

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

The power supply unit is very easy to change. I don't know where you are from but they are very easy to get hold of too.

If you need help in swapping out the PSU then there are plenty of videos on the likes of You Tube. Pick one you can follow.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Was the system pw ON when you were cleaning it?

Exactly what adapter did you unplug/plug; was this to a fan?

I would start with swapping in a quality pw supply. If you post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, what cpu, amount and speed of ram, what video card is installed, etc, then we can recommend a pw supply for you.

4. itsgcq

itsgcq Thread Starter

The PSU wasnt on when I was cleaning it. I unplugged everything.
    I plugged the adapter to the PSU, it is right outside of the PSU.

I do not really know my system specs ;X

Its a 64 bit Windows XP.
    I had a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS on there.

Is there any chance the PSU got destroyed with the mobo?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you know what pw supply you are replacing, it is difficult to recommend a replacement. It is the same thing as asking for a water pump for a Ford; you might get the right one or you might not.

Yes, it is possible to fry the mb, ram, cpu or other parts when a pw supply fails.
    FWIW I had a system brought to me a number of years ago for a no boot issue. When I attempted to pw ON the system, a capacitor in the pw supply exploded. This destroyed the mb, ram, cpu, hard disk, CD drive; the only usable parts were the keyboard and mouse.

6. itsgcq

itsgcq Thread Starter

So do you think it'd be worth it getting a new computer or just bring it to the repair shop and replace the parts that need to be replaced? My computer is 2 years old btw. The monitor is fine. On the power supply, it says something about Select the right voltage. I think I saw 220w.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you are comfortable working inside the case, then your only options are to either take it to a shop or buy a new one.

As to what to do, IMO it would depend on the quality of your current system. If it is something like an e-machine, they are not worth putting any money into. If it is a high end dell, then it might be worth investing some money into.

8. itsgcq

itsgcq Thread Starter

It's a Window XP SP2 running on a Intel Pentium Dual Core processor. The graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS. Is it worth getting a new computer or just replacing parts?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If that is a pentium D, then no it is not worth putting any money into.

10. itsgcq

itsgcq Thread Starter

I had my power supply replaced and it works now. Turns out there was a little bit of water that went into the PSU. Thanks by the way :)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad it is working(y)

12. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

No problem. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice