1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU died. Replacement bought and now no image on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WillowSpy, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WillowSpy

WillowSpy Thread Starter

Hi,
    All pc components are less than a few months old. Yesterday my pc failed to turn on. Suspected PSU so performed paperclip test and confirmed dead. Purchased new unit today and now pc turns on but no display on monitor. Graphics card is not powering up (Both fans of Radeon RX 580). Tried onboard graphics and still no display. Tested with another monitor same issue. Tested power lead and wall socket-all ok. Purchased an old pci express card today to test and fan powers up but still no display. Tried DP, HDMI, DVI connectors but all the same. No speaker on mb (MSI Bazooker B360M) so cannot hear if pc boots to post. Pc stays on as if working correctly but obviously isn’t. I have also tested voltage to the pci leads for graphics card and all ok.

My conclusion is that the mb is somehow not working correctly in displaying an image to the monitor. I don’t know why it failed to power up the fans on the RX but on the old style 8800 GTS it does power the single fan up. I have tried clearing the CMOS also.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I can’t think of anything else I can try but perhaps someone more experienced than I can.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Two things come to mind...
    Have you neglected to supply the GPU with a needed power connector?
    We don't know what caused the original PSU to fail. A power spike to could have FUBARd the motherboard and/or the GPU.
    Good luck.

3. replay

replay

And the power plug 4/8 pin near the cpu???

4. WillowSpy

WillowSpy Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for replying. Yes the power connector is fitted to the GPU properly. I’m also thinking that the PSU has caused the gpu and mb to be damaged. Although I have a surge protector fitted so I’m not sure if this is actually possible.

5. WillowSpy

WillowSpy Thread Starter

Yes all plugged in as it should be.

6. phillpower2

phillpower2

What processor do you have in the board, they don`t all have Intel HD graphics which is needed for the video ports on the MB to work.

If your CPU does have HD graphics, did you remove the add on video card from the MB before trying the integrated graphics.

Check the MB for any bad caps, for what to look out for see info here

7. WillowSpy

WillowSpy Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the reply. My cpu is an intel i5 9600k and yes I’ve removed the video card from the system. I have tried a different video card and although the fan spins still no display.

8. WillowSpy

WillowSpy Thread Starter

And I’ve just checked and my cpu does have integrated graphics capabilities.

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried by removing one RAM at a time. Maybe one may be defected.
    Also check your HDD or SSD.
    If no luck on both, then your motherboard may be dead.

10. phillpower2

phillpower2

Have you checked the MB capacitors as was suggested.

What is the brand and model name or number of the original and the replacement PSU

A bad HDD or SSD would not stop you from getting a display but bad RAM could, to check the RAM you need to get yourself a BIOS speaker like the one in the attachment, once the speaker is connected you remove the RAM from the MB, hook the display up to the appropriate video port on the MB then power up to see if you get any error beeps, if you do it means that things are ok up to the point that the RAM is checked during the power on self test and that the problem lays elsewhere, the graphics solution is checked after the RAM during the POST and if you are not getting a BIOS or MB splash screen it would normally suggest a graphics problem.

Just a fyi, the 8800 GTS is an older legacy card and so may not work with UEFI BIOS.

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice