1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaydin, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this... first off, computer specs:

Asus P4S8X-X
    Intel Celeron 1.7ghz
    ATI Radeon 9600 SE
    250W PSU
    256MB Ram

a couple days ago my computer started randomly shutting itself off, and it has started shutting down more often and it would take longer for it to power up again (i'd have to let it sit with everything unplugged for about 5 - 10 mins) it won't stay running for longer then 5 mins now, I'm pretty sure it's not a overheating problem as I have put a house fan blowing in the case at an angle and it still shut off, plus after being off all night it shut itself off in POST on the first boot up of the morning.

So basically i'm wondering if there could be any other problem beside the PSU that is causing it to shut itself off? I know 250w is way too low for that setup but i'll have to wait a week to get a new one if it is indeed the PSU that is dead. If anyone knows anything else that could be causing this please let me know, thanks in advance. :)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Can you access the bios setup and check PC Health for cpu temperature?

3. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

I just tried to get it going 3 times, the first time it seemed to run fine, however it did not get to POST Screen, the monitor was blank and there was no beeps or anything, second try it didnt do anything, and I should mention that my optical mouse and keyboard lighting DO come on when I turn the power switch on, but on the third try it tried to turn on but stopped after 1 - 2 seconds, any ideas?

4. ~Candy~

Is it shutting down?

You could have fried the cpu if it's been overheating for long.

5. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

no, but I didnt really let it sit long enough to find out, I just got into the bios now though but it seems to have frozen, gonna try again, thanks for taking the time to help :)

6. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

ok, MB Temp is 31c and CPU is 25c atm, they are rising a bit right now, i'm just gonna let it sit in bios screen and see what it does.

7. ~Candy~

You might take a look inside to be sure the cpu fan is spinning.

25C is REALLY low. I don't think I've seen a running unit post a temp that low :eek:

8. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

CPU Fan is running. I had those first temps mixed up sorry, CPU right now is 33C and MB is 27C

9. ~Candy~

Ok, that's better. Keep an eye on them for a bit.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While you are in the bios, check your voltages. It will be under something like pc health or freqs and volts; you may have to look around. What you are looking for is a voltage that changes ie 12V rail running 11.3 moving to 12.1 ect. All voltages should be close to their ideal values. It is normal to be slightly over or slightly under the desired voltage ie 11.9V on a 12V rail is ok; 11.3 would not be ok.

11. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

well the temps seem be staying at MB 31C and CPU 38C and it's so far been the longest this thing has run since it has started shutting itself down.

12. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

that 12v voltage is fluctuating between 11.84 and 11.90

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have found your problem. If you have a number of things on the 12V rail ie hard disks, optical drives, ect, you might try and boot with just the hd and nothing else connected.

PS do not last forever; usually 4-5 years for a quality unit like Antec, Sparkle, etc. Voltages should remain pretty constant and 11.84 is a little low to begin with. Do you have another ps to swap in and check?

14. kaydin

kaydin Thread Starter

I don't have another PS to try, I wish I did, the only things in that computer are CD-Rom, 40gb HD, floppy drive, should I unpluged cd-rom and floppy?

PS: this PS is 4 years old

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The floppy and the optical [CD] do not use much current, however it cannot hurt to unplug them. Just make sure the system is off, then restart and see if it boots. If it does, then you pretty much have confirmed the ps is failing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!