2K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this... first off, computer specs:

Asus P4S8X-X
Intel Celeron 1.7ghz
ATI Radeon 9600 SE
250W PSU
256MB Ram

a couple days ago my computer started randomly shutting itself off, and it has started shutting down more often and it would take longer for it to power up again (i'd have to let it sit with everything unplugged for about 5 - 10 mins) it won't stay running for longer then 5 mins now, I'm pretty sure it's not a overheating problem as I have put a house fan blowing in the case at an angle and it still shut off, plus after being off all night it shut itself off in POST on the first boot up of the morning.

So basically i'm wondering if there could be any other problem beside the PSU that is causing it to shut itself off? I know 250w is way too low for that setup but i'll have to wait a week to get a new one if it is indeed the PSU that is dead. If anyone knows anything else that could be causing this please let me know, thanks in advance. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I just tried to get it going 3 times, the first time it seemed to run fine, however it did not get to POST Screen, the monitor was blank and there was no beeps or anything, second try it didnt do anything, and I should mention that my optical mouse and keyboard lighting DO come on when I turn the power switch on, but on the third try it tried to turn on but stopped after 1 - 2 seconds, any ideas?

#10 ·
While you are in the bios, check your voltages. It will be under something like pc health or freqs and volts; you may have to look around. What you are looking for is a voltage that changes ie 12V rail running 11.3 moving to 12.1 ect. All voltages should be close to their ideal values. It is normal to be slightly over or slightly under the desired voltage ie 11.9V on a 12V rail is ok; 11.3 would not be ok.

#13 ·
kaydin said:
that 12v voltage is fluctuating between 11.84 and 11.90
You may have found your problem. If you have a number of things on the 12V rail ie hard disks, optical drives, ect, you might try and boot with just the hd and nothing else connected.

PS do not last forever; usually 4-5 years for a quality unit like Antec, Sparkle, etc. Voltages should remain pretty constant and 11.84 is a little low to begin with. Do you have another ps to swap in and check?

#15 ·
The floppy and the optical [CD] do not use much current, however it cannot hurt to unplug them. Just make sure the system is off, then restart and see if it boots. If it does, then you pretty much have confirmed the ps is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.