1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

psu exploded

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manx87, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. win2kpro

win2kpro

On PGA processors (pin type processors) I have used a mechanical pencil and a rounded toothpick arrangement to straighten pins. With LGA processors where there are pads on the processor, and contacts in the motherboard socket I have never seen anyone be successful in straightening the contacts, most people just scrap the board.

On PGA processors where the pins are on the processor that fits into a ZIF socket straightening a bent pin is much easier, however even with a PGA processor straightening multiple sometimes becomes impossible.

Also, you need to look at the processor under a magnifying light and make sure none of the pads on the processor are damaged. If you are not able to straighten the contacts in the socket so they are PERFECT, I wouldn't put the processor back on that board since if it is now not damaged, it may become damaged from the bent contacts.

2. manx87

manx87 Thread Starter

hi win2kpro, so u do u think that these bent pins don't make contacts with cpu and that causes pc to randomly reboot every 2 or 3 minutes

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I really can't answer that question. All I know is that Intel tells you if you receive a board with damaged socket contacts to reject the board and the same is true is you receive a processor with damaged pads.

4. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!