1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Failing potentially?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlTheMan, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

Hi.
    I understand that my PSU is of low quality (It's a CIT 500W) and I'm fairly sure that it is the cause of the problems I have been having recently, but I need to be 100% certain.
    About a month ago, I noticed that my fans were starting to randomly increase and decrease in speed, and then I checked my temperatures during games and they were reaching 80 degrees celsius on the cpu. I put this down to it being very hot, but when I put another fan in it didn't change much (went down about 10-20 degrees). After a week of this, my computer randomly restarted, and that is when I considered that my PSU was failing.
    This week, my headset microphone has been crackling for the people I talk to, not often but every now and again it crackles. My mouse has also been disconnecting randomly (However, that could be because the mouse is crap mouse I bought to save money.)
    Just wondering if there could be any other causes for these problems.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

There are probably gadzillions of reasons. And, a flaky power supply (PSU) is a common cause. The only way to be 100% sure is to test with a known-good PSU and see if the problems disappear..

3. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

Thank you for that. Is a failing PSU likely to damage other components before it fully dies or will it just stop working itself?

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Is it the same computer as on the earlier topic where the PSU was mentioned
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/H8tQbzff7lysVIvigq8g1nB

A temp of 80 on the CPU is far too high if that measurement was accurate
    Its TCase is 72.6°C
    Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).
    https://ark.intel.com/products/52213/Intel-Core-i7-2600-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

and a drop of 20 is, although you say not much - taking it to the correct temp under load. ie: 60 approx.

Check voltages in BIOS and get a comparison by using a third party app
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

In answer to your last if it is the PSU and it being of the lower type quality then if the overvoltage protection fails it COULD although unlikely take out the whole board.
    Quality PSU`s have good quality over voltage protection by way of diodes that will only pass a certain voltage, poor quality PSU`s do not have such

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  5. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

I am using the same computer as the one discussed in my last topic about a GPU, although the motherboard and fans were changed. And yes, my cpu generally has a temp of between 6-70 when playing games (Although it has spiked higher sometimes, but not often any more). As for checking the voltages, I will do soon.

6. Macboatmaster

There is no need to quote back to me what I post
    Please simply type your reply in the box that appears when you return to the topic, not by clicking reply on my post
    That as you can see - quotes back all I have posted

Post back with voltages please

7. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

So I went into the BIOS about 15 minutes ago. Went through all the tabs and the only tab that had any voltages on it was the performance tab. The only voltages it was showing was: "MEMORY: 1.500"

8. Macboatmaster

Check them on the link please

9. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

If the link you are talking about is hwinfo, the only voltages I can see when I launch the app is CPU VID (0.9-1.2v) and the volts on the GPU for each frequency (1.35 for each)
    I'm sorry if I'm being hopeless. I'm not very good with computers or all this software since I've never used it. If theres other ones that I need to see, please let me know where on the app to find them.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Try checking in the BIOS under something like Power > Hardware Monitor. With any luck it will show the 3.3, 5 and 12 volt voltages being supplied by the PSU.

11. Macboatmaster

12. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

Ah yes. I have had hwmonitor to measure temps. The only voltages that didn't fit on were for my gpu and they all said 0.862V
    https://imgur.com/a/hLVtLO3

13. Macboatmaster

Do you have a voltmeter - such as a digital multimeter
    If so on the PSU at a molex plug
    yellow is 12 v black is ground
    measure voltage
    both at idle and system under load

Alternatively - take out PSU and either test with known good OR for a few £/$ local computer shop will test for you

14. AlTheMan

AlTheMan Thread Starter

I'll try to make that happen.

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!