1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Fan squealing/whining...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rjones34, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjones34

rjones34 Thread Starter

What can I do short of replacing the PSU? I don't feel like cracking open the PSU to replace the fan...the PSU itself is roughly 4-5 years old and it came with my Dell when I bought it. 330w for a Dimension 8100....

Is it kosher to try and get a few drops of anything on the fan to stop the squealing?

I was thinking wd40 but know it's flammable....

Any thoughts are welcomed...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't want to crack the P/S or replace it? I'm afraid nothing else is going to get the job done. :confused:

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, Yeah Jet powered PC. You either replace the fan or the PSU. Johnwill covered it.

4. winbob

winbob

Just as an aside...don't use WD-40 as a lubricant for moving parts. Especially not where they get warm or hot. When the solvents evaporate from WD-40 it gets "Gummy" over time. Adding another drop or two fixes the problem, but not for long. I found this out with a fish tank filter motor. It became 'addicted' to WD-40.

Good ole WD stands for "Water Displacement". It was designed to fight off oxidation on rocket skins in the space program. Liquidized gases as fuels (cold) caused condensation on the rockets in the humid Florida air. Mixed with everything else around it caused a problem with the skins.

It works great to loosen rusty parts, AND to dry out wet automotive wiring.

The "40" is supposedly because it was the 40th formulation that was successfully used.

5. JohnWill

winbob is 100% correct, WD40 is not a lubricant, and should never be used as one.

6. rjones34

rjones34 Thread Starter

Okay, let me restate my intensions then...I don't know why I said I didn't want to crack open the PSU...I have no problems with this...it's not hard to get a part...

Is there any type of lubrication I can use if I take out the fan, shy of replacing the fan as I don't want to be soldering wires in a PSU...

If none of this seems an option, can anyone recommend good 400w PSUs?

Thank you...

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use tri-flow as a spray lubricant. You can get it at most auto supply stores or some hardware stores. It is not cheap, it runs around $10-$11 per can.

BTW when you open your ps, do this first. Disconnect the cord from the ps and then press the "On" button on the computer. This will discharge the caps in the ps. Be careful opening a ps.

8. JohnWill

If you're going to open the P/S, my advice is to install a new fan. It's easy to do, I just splice the wires to the old one, takes 5 minutes.

9. rjones34

rjones34 Thread Starter

No soldering gun....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!