1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Idea stupid or smart? Probably Idiocratic.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingknightrider, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingknightrider

kingknightrider Thread Starter

I currently have one PC at the moment but I am buying parts (as I type) for the building of another computer from the ground up (intended as an middle range system- circa mid '09 early '10) for my personal use (my budget is currently streched tighter than I anticipated- 2 components shot up $30 a piece) and then giving my current computer to my family who don't currently have any PC AT ALL (they live in a rural area) when I go to visit them for Christmas vacation.

It would be easier on the budget if I could order a PSU that I have always had great experience with and one that I actually have two of right now: Logisys 550W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply w/SATA (black). I currently can get one of these PSU's for under $20 a piece (they have been around a while-1st one I ordered was around $40). That could solve difference in rails,amps and watts by both being the same in the below intended methods.

Method ONE
    Method TWO

Before anyone backfires this idea I know what is required to do this and I will not cut the wires (I will follow the advice of the guy in the second video -since I do have a 4 year old busted spare 450 Watt. Though the method is easier seen in the first video).

I plan for the case to lay down and open 24/7 covered over by screen door mesh; I would set up both PSUs' at what would be considered the top corners of the case and the have the hard drives set on a platform at the pc's base with one PSU set run the graphics card, 3 fans and motherboard. While the other would operate the 4 hard drives (3 SATA,1 IDE), 4 fans, graphic fan card. Using the method above should allow the dual power supplies to act as one [turn on and off as one unit]. In the end the computer will look like an upside down Octopus: the head is the case with the arms being the cable wires and the tips being the fans and hard drives.

I can then take the spare PSU (older of the two- the newer PSU stays [bought in June '11]) and place the older in the families computer and not the one that I am building.

Would this be a possible functionality and save around $50 .:confused:

2. kingknightrider

kingknightrider Thread Starter

*Removed to correct forum thread*

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice