1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Psu jumps on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakedude182, Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakedude182

jakedude182 Thread Starter

Hi i've noticed over the summer that whenever I put my computer in standby it would jump when turning back on.
    The psu turns on, everything sounds fine and then after 5-10 seconds it will turn off for a few secs and repeat this process until I turn the plug off at the wall.

A few weeks ago I cleaned all dust, checked cable connections, and tried booting with various components removed. I took out the gpu, ram, and hard drives and the problem still occurred.

Then last week I realized that if I just turn the plug off at the wall each night and then flick it on and then start the pc it turns on fine every time consistently.
    So I'm not sure if it is the power supply being faulty at all or what to do. But although the problem is gone, I can't standby the pc anymore and leave it on all day at home

As it is working ok right now i'm not willing to buy any new components, but do you know if there is anything I can do to test it.
    The psu is a 5 year old bequiet straightpower 10, 800w

Thanks, jake :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Best pw supply test is to swap in a known good unit. If that is not possible, monitor voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails. If you see voltages going up and down, then the pw supply is most likely failing. The only voltage that should vary is vcore or cpu voltage.
    There are pw supply testers however [IMO] they are less than useless since they do not test under load.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice