1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU, Motherboard, or CPU Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by c0p0ut, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c0p0ut

c0p0ut Thread Starter

My PSU finally came back. I connected my RAM, graphics card, HDD, and PSU to the motherboard. My CPU and fan were already connected. I pressed the power button on the motherboard and got the same response (The CPU fan budged, but nothing else).

I disconnected the 8-pin EATX12V and then pressed the power button on the motherboard. This ran the CPU fan and graphics card fans, and illuminated a light on the motherboard.

So, I have now replaced the motherboard AND the PSU, and I am no farther along in this trouble shoot than before.

Here is a video of what is going on ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZPTz9uQQM

Is my only option now that the CPU is bad? Is it possible that a bad CPU would block the board from pushing power through when the 8-pin is connected? Is this why the motherboard pushes power through when the 8-pin is removed?

2. c0p0ut

c0p0ut Thread Starter

I did some more troubleshooting with ASUS tech support. They said its possible the replacement MB they gave me was defective and suggested I do another RMA.

Well, since I have already replaced the MB and the PSU, the only two remaining constants have been the CPU and the RAM. The RAM has a lifetime warranty, so I think I might start there and RMA that first.

Should I RMA the motherboard at the same time, or hope it is just a defective batch of RAM?

3. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018998