1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU or MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATHiker95, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

Came back from vacation. Turned on my computer. Begins to start up and when it reaches the Windows splash screen, it abruptly shuts down. Then, when I press the on/off switch on the front of the computer, nothing happens. Found a switch on the back of the computer which I switched off and turned back on. That made a green light on Mobo go off and then come on again. Then I hit the on button on the front of the case and the computer started up again, only to repeat the entire sequence again. Any thoughts? Computer is older Pentium IV, running XP. Wasn't having problems before vacation. I'm selecting last known good configuration at startup as computer recognizes that something has gone amiss. Would starting in safe mode be an idea?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Hughv

Hughv

Check all your connections internally and externally. Look for dust/dirt and clean.
    It can't hurt to try Safe Mode. Get the PS tested.

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

try a new BIOS battery, yours has probably run flat whilst you were away on vacation ;)

4. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

After some 8 years of use, wouldn't that be a very strange coincidence, for the BIOS battery to give up the ghost? Not that "stuff" doesn't just happen, but what about the behavior I was describing, would make you think of that battery ?
    Curious

Thanks,
    Mark

5. Hughv

Hughv

A bad battery is unlikely, and would have different symptoms, like a checksum error.

6. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

not always.
    listen, for the sake of a dollar or two a new battery is worth a punt.
    8yrs you say.. CMOS batteries have a life span of about 5 yrs, so go figure...:D

7. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

Jack,
    having never replaced that battery before, is there any special procedure to follow other than pulling plug on computer? The extent of my tinkering has been adding a RAM chip once, so....

Thanks,
    Mark

8. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

9. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

I should add that I just tried starting in Safe Mode. That got me a bit further. It took me to the Windows login screen (where the different users are shown). Clicking on my icon, it then popped up a box indicating I was starting in Safe Mode and I clicked OK and then a second or two later, it powered down again. Don't know if that helps at all but thought I'd mention it.
    Thanks,
    Mark

10. Hughv

Hughv

A bad battery won't keep you from booting, and it certainly won't power off the computer. This is almost certainly a heat or power problem. Re-seating the memory might help also.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box (Dell, HP/Compaq, Acer, Gateway, to name a few), or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Get yourself a Linux Live CD (such as Mandriva One or Knoppix) and see if it will boot into that.

This will pretty quickly tell you if the problem is with your Windows installation or with hardware.

Also, is your CPU heat sink clean? Is that fan running?

13. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

Fan was pretty clogged with dirt (it was running,however). I cleaned all the gunk out and restarted. This time it fired up in normal mode and got past the scrolling Windows bar and to the login screen. I could hear the normal computer sounds and let it continue for about 20-30 seconds. Just when I got ready to click on my name, down she went again.

14. ATHiker95

ATHiker95 Thread Starter

Computer is a VPR Matrix 2020. 300 watt power supply. Intel ATX P4 DDR system board. Model D845BG /LABEGSTD2. P4 2.0A ghz processor
    100 gb 7200 rpm HD. External HD , printer, scanner, USB hub ( plugged into a USB card)
    That's about all I know

Something did occur to me that I had forgotten to mention recently. In the past month, I had noticed a few times in the morning that my computer had rebooted itself and was back at the splash screen. I asked my wife if she had restarted my computer for some reason. Negative on that. So that was probably a warning sign that something was amiss. Computer always started from that point, however

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would be taking a look at the power supply

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice