PSU or something else?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Drynn

Few days ago I went to turn my computer back on and it started to flash on and off several times, I had to do a force shutdown to get it to stop. I'm sure it wasn't a power surge or such because I'm hooked into a UPS and its fine. When I try to turn it on now it goes through some POST codes that I can't find in any documentation. It doesn't actualy start up or anything, just some lights on the board and the post codes flash through, then it gives 1 long beep and 1 short beep. I haven't been able to find anywhere online where it tells what that code is. I tried taking my graphics card out and starting up and it started up but then after a couple seconds I started to smell melted plastic or wires and then the power started to pulse again and I forced a shutdown. I'm assuming this is the PSU, I think thats where the smell was the strongest but I thought i should check first here just to be sure. I'd never had a machine pulse its power like that, scared me half to death and I hope it didn't damage anything. Any ideas or confirmations would be wonderful.

Thanks much,
Drynn

The beeps you describe is a problem with the motherboard, now whether as you say the psu has failed and damaged the mobo is differcult to say, I would try changing the psu and see if you can get the mobo to boot.

Drynn

Ok, I got a brand new PSU and nadda, it does the same thing, some lights flash and the processor fan gets a quick jolt of juice only enough to spin around a couple times, and thats it. No other fans seem to start up at all. No effect on the monitor. Is there any way I can figure out what is wrong without another computer to test each peice?

I'd say your probably looking at a motherboard. Abit(among others) recently was sued over using faulty capacitors.

Check the capacitors on the motherboard. If even 1 of them shows signs of buldging or oozing then there ya go.

dustyjay

Jay
A lot of the time when a power supply goes outit can take other components with it. And the motherboard can easily be one of those components as well as the Processor and Hard drives. It sure sounds like you are experiencing a bad motherboard to me.

Drynn

So power supplies don't have built in safties or anything? It just seems so bogus that anytime a power supply might go out you risk all your hardware. This is the first power supply I've ever had go out, realy sucks :0p.

Thanks everyone for the help though :0).

That's why you should always get a good PSU. You'll be sorry later. I'm sorry that happened to you. Just use it as a leaning experience.

Drynn

I thought I had, I did a bunch of research on it and it always had high ratings and in the two tests I found on it, it scored highest in one and in the top 3 I think it was on the other.

it was an Antec True430, from everything I could find it was a great power supply.

Well, ya, that is a good Power supply. It's possible tha the original Power supply is still fine however.

Drynn

I'd be scared to try using the old one on a new motherboard. I think there was a burned wire smell coming from the PSU when all this happened. I think I'll just stick with this Cheaper Coolmax PSU after I get a new board.

Well, just remember that the PSU is the most, and I mean MOST important component in your system. It's the foundation, and anything built on a bad foundation is destined to crumble. I would have the Power supply tested, and if indeed it did go, then I would see about getting a warranty replacement.

Drynn

how can I go about testing it without puting it in a computer? Just with a Meter or such?

Also according to the warrenty info at the Antec site they only have a 1 year warrenty wich I exceeded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online