1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marz08, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I built a gaming PC. When I pressed the power button the LED's turned on for literally a second (if that)...then no sign of power. Took it to a PC repair shop & they told me the 500W PSU was dead.

Sent the PSU off, ordered a new one (600w fixed cable corsair this time, even though 500 should of been plenty) + fitted in.....same problem. I took it back to the same repair shop & they were puzzled. They tested their 750w modular one....worked fine.

The only difference between mine & theirs is that theirs is 750w (mines 600 which should be more than enough) and their is modular. Could it be something to do with the fixed cables....maybe the ones i'm not using? Maybe a unused cable is touching the case or something?

Any ideas? really stressed.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    has it ever worked ?

3. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

Nope....The only time i've seen it working is when they plugged their modular PSU in today....

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you sure you dont need 750W ?
    what cables are you using that did not get used with their PSU

5. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the very first thing that just jumps right out at me is your choice of pw supply. The cx or builder series from corsair is NOT designed for gaming or any other stressful endeavor; it is for a basic build ONLY. Even corsair says it is only for basic builds;
    http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/power-supply-units/cx-series

The next item I see is that you have some pretty mis-matched parts; you have a gaming video card and you installed a very basic ie low end mb. Asus is a fine mfg however the board you installed is one of their basic boards ie made to use onchip video, run office stuff, etc. In addition, you installed a WD blue drive. Again WD is a fine mfg however the blue drives are the low end of their product line. If you want a mech drive, install either a raptor or a black series drive; much better built AND a 5yr warranty. The blue drives have a 2yr warranty; that alone should tell you about quality.

Actually you did not. You built a low end computer with a gaming video card. For a performance system, ALL of the parts need to work together. What you have is analogous to putting a high performance cam into a yugo; it is just not going to work well. In the case of a gaming system, the pw supply must supply stable, clean pw, the mb must be capable of supplying the needed current through the pci-e slot, the VRs on the board must be capable of supplying the needed pw, etc, etc.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just for your information, corsair does not mfg their own pw supplies. The high end ones [hx, tx, or ax models] are mfg by seasonic [maker of very high end stuff] The cx line is mfg by ctw [maker of oem stuff] In short, when you use a cx pw supply, you have basically a dell/hp pw supply.

8. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

So you are saying I should get both a new PSU+Mobo? Now i feel awful....I built this as a present. The parts were all recommended to me by a forum.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, I would NOT go back to whatever forum recommended those parts.
    If the system worked at the shop when they plugged in their test pw supply, then it can really only be one thing; your pw supply just does not supply the needed pw. The only other thing even possible is that you did not fully plug in the aux pw connector ie the 4 or 8 pin connector near the cpu. As for unused connectors, you bundle those up with a tie wrap and store in an unused 5 1/4 bay.

Up to you if you want to get another mb however I would not tell someone it is a "gaming system" with that board. The mb is most likely not causing your problem and will work with that video card. It is just not going to deliver the same level of performance that you would get with one of the z87 pro type boards from asus.

10. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

Thanks man,

I feel awful tbh.Going to try plugging it all in again when I get home.
    What PSU would you recommend (bear in mind i'm on a budget)?
    How much performance increase would a new mobo be?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good ie recommended pw supplies; corsair [only hx, tx or ax models] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty]
    This is an example of what you need;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

That is difficult to give you an exact answer. With a performance mb from asus or gigabyte, you have a more stable system, mb chipset runs cooler, etc. As for actual fps in games, it would end up pretty close. The "performance" comes from a stable system, runs cooler, etc ie the mb is designed for gaming and or overclocking.

12. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

Thanks very much, your help is appeciated.
    Hopefully I will be able to return this PSU to Amazon

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. Marz08

Marz08 Thread Starter

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The corsair one is decent however the coolermaster is only an oem unit.
    Really if you want to be sure you fix it this time, stick with ONLY the hx, tx, or ax models.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice