1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magnu74, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnu74

Magnu74 Thread Starter

Hi Guys - newbie here, hope you can help out.

The PSU failed on my system after about 18 months, I went to the shop where I had the PC built with the dead PSU (Touchmate 400W) in hand and asked for a replacement.

When I came to install the new PSU I found only 3 molex connectors instead of the original 5 and I had no splitters to hand. Leaving the DVD/RW drive unpowered the system booted up and ran normally.
    Following day I removed the PSU and took it back to get a different model. Now the problems begin! I get a new PSU, very handsome with black case and nice wiring looms and big fan, and install it. Press start button - nothing happens! The PSU and CPU fans kick and rotate briefly before stoppng. There is a green LED on the motherboard only. Tried reseating all connectors, boards, PCI connectors etc but to no avail. Tried powering MB/HDD only - same result. I then tried a cheap generic Chinese PSU (I know these are unreliable but this is just to check whether the PSU was DOA). Hey presto - system boots up normally. 5 minutes later however, this PSU dies!

Went away to stand in a corner for a while:(

When I came back - ever hopeful, I hit the power button again and was treated to a firework display from the PSU:eek:

Now - concerned about the rest of the system I replaced the No 2 PSU which still acted the same.

Questions...
    1. WTF is happening?
    2. Do I get a quality PSU (difficult to find in my part of the world - UAE) and risk frying that or do I take the whole caboodle back the the shop and risk paying for new components that I don't need?
    3. Or maybe the PSU is just shut down and can be revived?

Sorry it's a long post but I have tried to explain fully
    Thanks in advance.

System: P4 3.0GHz/Intel D915 MB/NVidia 6800GT GPU/Usual bits and pieces.

2. SB305

SB305

LOL :D

Just my twopenn'orth but, unless you have a very understanding insurance company :rolleyes: , I'd get it fixed by a professional who can take the rap when it lights up half the Middle East. :cool:

3. Magnu74

Magnu74 Thread Starter

TeeHee:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice