1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU question/concerns regarding voltages and random shut offs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SecseeMandy, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SecseeMandy

SecseeMandy Thread Starter

For at least a few months now my computer has been very randomly shutting off as if the plug were pulled, and then starting back up again shortly after. It can happen when the computer is in any state (idle, watching videos, playing games) and at any time (shortly after use, or after an entire day of extensive use). Seems to only happen a couple times a month. I've been looking into figuring out the problem, I've tested my CPU, GPU, and RAM and I highly suspect my motherboard or PSU. I fully understand the readings of the voltages in the BIOS are inaccurate and I plan to get a volt reader soon but this is what I was getting on my Corsair HX1000.

CPU - 1.29
    3.3v - 2.99
    5v - 5.93
    12v - 13.43 - 13.65 (software reading 13.88)

I read somewhere about splitting the loads on the 12v rails and tried switching were some things were plugged in and my readings then became exactly what they should be, much lower on the 12 and 5, a little higher on the 3. My computer is plugged into a UPS and I still suspect the motherboard is to blame but I need to wait who knows how long to see if I get another shut off.

I'm just looking for some opinions.
    Thanks!

2. dai

dai

the 12v & 5v reading from the bios is usually the most accurate,other than using a multimeter

the software reading is totally out of spec and i doubt it is accurate

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

try connecting without the ups

any error messages when you restart after the shutdown,does it auto restart after shutdown or do you have to restart manually

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

3. SecseeMandy

No errors, no blue screen, and nothing in event viewer or crash dumps. It's like the power went off and I always look to see if that's what happened. It was plugged into a surge protector not long ago, I switched it to a UPS to see if that would help. I've actually recreated the problem twice by hitting Save and Exit in Bios. Normally when you save and exit it reboots but the computer instantly shut off these 2 times but surprisingly the bios settings did save. If that info is useful at all.

(Edit: I do not have to start the computer, it starts up again on its own after about 1 or 2 seconds like a short power loss)

I still need to run another memtest on the Ram, I only did 3 passes but was recommended 10 but they're about an hour a piece so I'll do that overnight sometime.

I constantly monitor temps and they are always fine and the power supply doesn't blow out hot air or feel hot to the touch.

What's your take on moving plugs on the PSU and the far better readings I'm having now? Does this sound like a fluke? I'm not sure if moving the plugs could truly have any effect at all to be honest.

GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 6970

RAM - Corsair XMS3 Dominator 12GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24

CPU - Intel Core i7 980 6 Core at 3.33GHZ

PSU - Corsair Professional HX1000W ATX 12V 80A 24PIN ATX Modular

Motherboard - Asus P6x58d-e

No shut offs yet but it's so darn random I might not have one for another 2 weeks, and i could have one in the next hour. >.>

Also might be worth mentioning a couple months ago I had to flash my bios to fix a start up issue I was having. Would start, then shut off and start and shut off. It was terrifying but hasn't done that since the flash.

Edit also with my new readings from bios:

CPU - 1.256
    3.3 - 2.91 - 2.89
    5 - 5.59 - 5.7
    12 - 12.36 - 12.64

4. dai

dai

memtest has to be run on 1 stick at a time

if it was ram,driver or h/ware you would expect a error message

no message usually indicates heat or power

did you re optimise the bios after the flash

check your ram is running at the right voltage,asus boards used to default to low to cater for cheap ram that only ran at one voltage

try re flashing the bios again with the same version

changing lines can better equate out the power draw

my last 3 m/b's have all done this double startup boot,it has not been a problem

5. SecseeMandy

After I flashed I did change something in the Bios for my Ram, the timings I think. I don't know how to fully optimize my Bios. This is something I've always fallen short of being able to do, I keep most things default. :(

What voltage do I set my Ram to?

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

7. dai

dai

there is usually a setting in the bios saying

optimise

set the voltage to 1.65v and leave the timings alone

8. SecseeMandy

Thanks for taking the time to help me. =)

I was unable to find anything in my Bios that said optimize. =( Is it the "DRAM bus voltage" I'm changing to 1.65? When I typed that in, it was red with a warning and I got scared so I wanted to really double check I'm changing the right one.

What are your thoughts on my computer shutting off similar to the problem I'm having when I save and exit the bios? If I just exit the Bios it doesn't do this, when I hit F10 to save and exit, immediately after hitting OK it shuts off and a couple seconds later starts up again. The exact symptoms I'm having at random.

9. dai

dai

[when I hit F10 to save and exit, immediately after hitting OK it shuts off and a couple seconds later starts up again]

this is normal when you have made changes

newegg also lists it to run at 1.65v

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Timing 9-9-9-24
    Cas Latency 9
    Voltage 1.65V

when you look at the voltage setting what is it currently set at

10. SecseeMandy

Everything is Auto. There's a lot of different voltage settings so I was scared I could be changing the wrong one. The one I think is right is DRAM bus voltage. Let me know if I'm right and I'll change that to 1.65.

Are you sure it's normal for the computer to snap off like a plug was pulled when saving changes to the bios? It doesn't seem right. I don't recall other Bios saves to cause such a power off, usually the computer just reboots from my experiences however the settings do save so maybe you're right. It just seems so harsh and sometimes I'm not sure it's going to come back on again, it's at least a 2 second wait before the computer powers up again.

Thanks! Heading to bed now, will check this again tomorrow. No shut offs today! (y)

11. dai

dai

if it is not shutting off leave things as is and see how it goes

12. SecseeMandy

Okay, I'll let you know if it happens again, keep an eye out for the thread, it could take a long time to happen.

Thanks again!
    Mandy

13. dai

dai

we receive a email notification when you reply

14. SecseeMandy

Well, looks like we didn't have to wait long. It just shut off on me while watching a youtube video. This time I had to power it back on. :(

15. dai

dai

move the ram voltage up to the 1.65v

and post what the bios lists for the 12v line voltage

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice