PSU question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

millert

if i got a geforce fx 7900 and kept my 300w psu wat would exactly happen if i only played like 2-3 hours with like 1-2 hour breaks in between wat would happen

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well nobody can say for certain what will happen but we can guess. It could work fine, or could not work at all, or it could work poorly, or crash or freeze, or damage the video card or cause the power supply to fail(and potentially damage other hardware in the computer when it fails). The requirements are there for a reason, the 7900 needs a lot of power, my advice is to buy a quality power supply that meets the requirements for the card.

It also depends on which 7900 model you have. At minimum you need a 350W with 20 Amps on the 12 volt rail, or as high as 450W with 22 Amps on the 12 volt rail.

millert

cuz i was told that using it like i said for a few hours at a time will not affect anythig as long as i am not on it for like 8-9 hours at a time with no break

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You were told wrong, you are exceeding what the power supply is meant to deliver, something won't get enough power and that is never a good thing in electronics. The numbers aren't chosen out of the blue, they're based on research.

Triple6 said:
You were told wrong, you are exceeding what the power supply is meant to deliver, something won't get enough power and that is never a good thing in electronics. The numbers aren't chosen out of the blue, they're based on research.
T-6 is right. Don't gamble a good video card for a cheap PSU. Not worth it.

P.S. If that PSU blows you may need a whole new system, or at least some major parts. Get a better PSU.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts