1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU short?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KcPowers, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KcPowers

KcPowers Thread Starter

I was installing some RGB strips and accidentally connected them to the wrong header. Since then, there has been no video or audio output, and the computer will not turn off without hitting the switch on the PSU. The motherboard's CPU diagnostic LED is on, so I thought that i had fried my CPU. Well, this is not the case as there is now a brand new CPU installed. Is it possible that I shortes either my PSU or GPU?

UPDATE:
    Apparently, my original mistake is that I plugged the 3pin VDG header into the montherboard's 3pin DLED_V_SW2 which changes the power input to the actual VDG header from 5V to 12V with the use of a two pin cover (leaving the last pin exposed).
    With this new information, is it possible that I simply created a short in just the PSU and not my motherboard?

SPECS:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
    CPU (original): AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz
    CPU (replacement): AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-core 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
    PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W
    Lighting Peripherals: (2) DEEPCOOL Addressable RGB LED 35cm Lighting Strip, (2) DEEPCOOL CF 120 Silent PWM Addressable RGB Fan

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It would be of considerable help if you posted the make and full model of the board and also the make and model of the lighting strips

3. KcPowers

KcPowers Thread Starter

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
    CPU (original): AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core 3.2 GHz
    CPU (replacement): AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-core 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
    PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W
    Lighting Peripherals: (2) DEEPCOOL Addressable RGB LED 35cm Lighting Strip, (2) DEEPCOOL CF 120 Silent PWM Addressable RGB Fan

It's 10 PM here and I'm currently installing my old Corsair CX450M PSU to see if it changes anything.

10:30 PM update: no change in computer behavior after PSU switch, no video output and holding down the power button yields nothing.

12 AM and I found my old MSI B350 PCMate motherboard, hopefully it still has an activated OS key but if not, I should be able to tell whether or not I messed up my new mobo.

12:30 AM and there's no change. I even switched to my old CPU (see spec above). So far I have eliminated
    1) PSU
    2) CPU
    3) motherboard (?)
    However, on the old motherboard I am now getting a DRAM diagnostic LED. I only have the two RAM cards (2x 8GB T-Force Nighthawk 3200 MHz) so I switched them out individually but to no avail. I also believe the issue with the power button not turning off the computer was due to some odd Boot settings that I had implemented. The only possible options that I can think of are the RAM and GPU (both of which I was planning on upgrading anyways) or the motherboard, but I have yet to find an issue with it [the mobo] that I don't have with the old motherboard as well.

I just ordered new RAM, so either this works or now I've got back up sticks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Macboatmaster

WHICH Deepcool is the one you have, as far as I can see the 35cm addressable does not identify it without me searching every one of the lighting strip products
    http://deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/AccessoryLEDStrips/index.shtml

As far as I can see that board has

2 x digital LED strip headers which are DLED1 -lower left below PCIEx4 and DLED2 which is top right of ram
    2 x digital LED strip power select jumpers which are DLED SW1 -lower left and DLED SW2 - top right of course the SW being the jumpers to control voltage of the Digital LED headers
    1 x CPU cooler LED strip/RGB LED strip header above PCIE EX1
    1 x RGB (RGBW) LED strip header LEDC1 lower left to right of Digital LED 1 and left of Sysfan3

I suggest if you have NOT done so that you read carefully pages 15 and 16 of your motherboard manual for the procedure in connecting the lighting strips especially in respect of the jumpers

I DO HOWEVER realise that you presumably did not do so and connected the RGB strip to the voltage selection header DLED SW2. As one of the pins on the RGB connection is Ground - you more than likely have connected GROUND to one of the pins on the header.
    of the three pins on the header one is connected to the voltage line and the other two are the 5 and 12v

On the RGB strip connector one of the sockets must be ground

1-2: 5V (Default)

PIN 1 2 3

2-3: 12V

PIN 1 2 3

My feeling is that you have damaged the board and that is why the CPU LED is on.

As to why you have errors with the B350 I cannot really follow what error is on that board - for instance I presume you do not have the power problem - power button, as the boot settings cannot be anything connected with that board - unless of course your connection error damaged the power button circuit on the case - very unlikely I would have thought

-Re this
    I do not think that ram is compatible with the B350

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  5. KcPowers

KcPowers Thread Starter

I had those RAM cards on the B350 for two years without issue. I'm fairly certain they're compatible.

6. Macboatmaster

Well obviously they are then
    Is the power button fault present on the B350

7. KcPowers

KcPowers Thread Starter

No, the power button works properly with the B350 but the new RAM cards made no change.
    Considering I currently have perfectly good working parts in the computer (old motherboard, new RAM, old CPU, PSU) and I am still getting no video, the only item that stayed the same is my GTX 1060. I'm considering buying a cheap Geforce 210 1gb card to test if that's the issue ($27.99 on Newegg).

I'm using all my old parts to build a PC for my parents, so if it still doesn't work I can put the cheap GPU toward that project.

8. Macboatmaster

On your opening post you said
    if on the original board the graphics were connected HDMI then that of course can carry the audio from the chip on the card

If the audio however was separate from that - eg using the integrated audio on the board then it certainly looks as though, not only the graphics have failed , but also the audio chip on the board
    THIS would confirm it was the board - although it certainly seems that way - with the power button issue
    I suggest you check the onboard audio on both boards

On the B350 I suggest you reset CMOS

1. Power off the computer but DO NOT unplug the power cord (system under S5/Soft-off mode).

2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.

3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.

4. Power on the computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice