1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chippynut, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Would a 600 or 650 watt psu sufice for a quad or dual core pc used for multi tasking no real gaming, i am limited for funds and thinking of alpine or is this too cheap a make, thanks.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, Depending on what other hardware you have in your computer such as graphics card, RAM, and amount of hard drives. It could be anything. We need more information on this really to give you a good answer. Just don't use cheap quality power supplys though. Make sure it is from a good brand such as Coolermaster, Corsair, and Thermaltake. If you give more information I can make a better suggestion. :)

Jack-O-Bytes

3. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Hi, thanks your reply, sorry for the delay, In fact the pc does not exist yet, i am a OAP that likes playing around with pc,s and fancid starting with the case and biulding my own as i have never asembled a cpu - motherboard etc, just done lots of small repairs for family and friends, There is no chance of biulding a high end or cost pc any way, but would like to try a AMD cpu, asus or gigabyte board, four gig of ram, nothing special in graphics perhaps one gig, i have a case in mind a full size ATX and full size board, all this because i own one of these silly narrow and limited size pc,s, it as been very good but limited in what i could change, The PSU was where i decided to start, Of course i am limited on funds but i will buy as good as i can, I can always upgrade the cpu later but the case and psu i would like to try and get right in the begining but am unsure just how much power i may need, I certainly will not buy one of the realy cheap versions that are around, Some times on these forums people asume that we are all speed and game folk and have unlimited funds, The case i have chosen is one that as a unusual feature in the form of a handle on the top and i wanted this one as i want to be able to move it from room to room, now some one is going to say get a laptop but there is method in my madness so please do not laugh, Thanks if you could advise on the wattage this would be a start.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah I reacon around 500-600w Will most likely be able to power a decent setup and also handle a few future upgrades.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks again for that, on the case i meant to say it is Thermatake wing,s RS 301, if you look on a reviews site called (Motherboards org) this site gives quite a good insight into different components, keep well.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah. Most power supply's work most efficiently and cool at 50-70% load so if chippynut's computer draws around 50% most of the time then it will be working at it's most efficient and keeping cool and quiet at the same time. It is better to have that extra wattage to help keep things cool and quiet and also long running and reliable.

Jack-O-Bytes

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice