1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU Unit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by connordrew, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. connordrew

connordrew Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a packard bell club 75 system and the power has failed. I know it is definetly the PSU as I have another sys with the same PSU unit and I swapped them round to check first.
    My question is this, I have a 230v PSU with output of 145w. They are difficult to get a hold of but would I need to get a PSU of this spec or can I upgrade to 250V without frying any components?

Thanx in advance

2. batman44

batman44

i wood say the (psu) you have will be good for the job
    a psu at 145w will power a loo spek pc ok.
    but if it is a hi spek pc i wood go for a 350w psu.
    is your pc (atx or the old at.)
    iff it is (at) and not (atx) the 145w psu you have will be good for your pc
    iff it is (atx) gofor a new 350w atx psu..... :)

3. brite750

brite750

just so we are clear, do you mean a 250 watt or volt?, what country are you in that has 250volts???? your new psu would have to match the right voltage and Hz or cycles/min 50 or 60 are common, if your old one was 145watts and the new is the same volatge and cpm and just a 250watt version you should be ok, however your mobo must be ATX and the new psu must be ATX with the exact same power connector to mobo, or you fry your mobo.

4. connordrew

Hi and thanx for your reply.

You see the thing is, is that I am repairing the secondary packard bel system for someone, hence me swapping Power supply units. It's quite a low spec machine but I was hust wondering if I was to go for a higher spec PSU whether it would cause any damage. Would my local supplier be able to sell me a standard one?
    I have never had to replace a PSU for a customer as yet and I was just checking?

I am in the UK and on the PSU reads:

Model No: FSP145-61GN
    Input 115/230V OutPut: 145w
    Fuse Rating: 5A, 250V

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot hurt a system by installing a PSU of higher Wattage (W).

The system will only use the Watts needed, it's not a case of overloading. Like having a larger petrol tank in a car, doesn't damage the car, as an analogy.

The Volts input is the critical factor, and 220v -250v range is fine for the UK.

PSU's are usually dual voltage ~ 115/230 so make sure the switch is selecting 230 before connecting it.

6. connordrew

cool,

thanx for that guys.

7. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

The only thing you need to concern yourself with here is if the PSU is AT or ATX format, a Packard bell with a 145w PSU I would guess is AT format, you can't get them wrong as the connectors to the motherboard are very different. As you say they are rare now, but not impossible to get.

8. brite750

brite750

I know there are some proprietary psuz that have similar mobo connectors as ATX (dont know about AT) but the wiring is different and will kill you mobo if you use the wrong one. Atx usually have a 20 pin connector but the wiring has to be the same as well
    http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm
    see if this matches your psu
    your right though if its old it may be AT which has two plugs
    this is the AT type
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html
    here again if you plug these in wrong you will fry your board so do not turn the power on unless there is no doubt about the way they are plugged in

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!