PSU wont power on when plugged into motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ill.clinton

Hey guys

I just bought a bunch of new components and couldn't get the build to power on. I put everything together and couldn't get anything to power on, the PSU wouldn't even turn on when connected to the motherboard but would power on with the paperclip test. I couldn't jump the motherboard, tried different ram seatings, 1 stick of ram in different seatings, checked GPU on my old motherboard and double-checked PSU at the same time, making sure fans weren't shorting the motherboard. The only things I couldn't check individually were the Ram and CPU as my previous board is an intel B360 Gaming Plus board and only supports up to 2666mhz. I've returned the board and their testing team has said they couldn't replicate the fault and that the board has no issues.

The components I bought were

Gigabyte X570 gaming motherboard
AMD ryzen 7 3800x CPU
16gb DDR4 FlareX ram @ 3200mhz

The components I added were

Cougar GX800 V3 800W 80+ gold PSU
RX Vega 64

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing the issue? need help urgently

Thanks in advance

Should also add I have PSU and GPU in my current build both working perfectly

What I'd do is take it back down to bare bones out on a table. Nothing but motherboard (on a non-conductive surface), CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse.

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try a different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

If it's bootable now, try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight.

If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight.

If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum in the case though, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

crjdriver

but would power on with the paperclip test
This "Test" is completely useless. All modern motherboard/pw supplies use a "Pw good signal" in order to pw ON. My guess is that your pw supply is not delivering this signal to the board so no pw ON. If the motherboard, cpu, ram completed POST for the shop, the very first thing I would suspect is your pw supply, your mounting of the motherboard in the case OR perhaps case lead connections to the board from the case. Do the out of case build and see if it will POST.
Note the ONLY pw supplies I recommend for a gaming type system are seasonic, corsair [AX, HX. or RM models ONLY] or antec [HCG models ONLY]

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online