1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU works fine, but HD and CD-RW don't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plancton, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plancton

plancton Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

My current configuration is:

Athlon XP 1800+
    512 MB
    HD 80GB Hitachi
    Asus CD-RW
    Windows XP

I changed the power supply for a new 350W one and it works fine, but I haven't been able to boot the system yet.
    If I connect everything up the only thing that will turn on is the fan of the processor and the power supply itself, but neither the HD or the CD-RW will.
    But if I disconnect the data cable from the motherboard both components will turn on.
    The HD is set as master and the CD-RW is slave, and they are plugged with the same data cable and same power chord.
    I tried another power supply and everything works fine, but using that one on that computer is not an option.
    I googled a couple of things like "change power supply" but none of them worked out.

Thanks very much in advance

2. norton850

norton850

Welcome

The problem is only with the one PS? Things work fine when you replace it?

3. zeddy

zeddy

Agreed you have got a faulty PSU

4. plancton

plancton Thread Starter

The problem is with the new PS if the data cable is plugged to the motherboard(HD and CD-RW don't turn on). If I disconnect the data cable from the motherboard, Hd and CD-RW will power up. I took this new PS to the computer store where I bought it to have it tested and it worked fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/515336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice